New York City
Washington DC Metro
Northern New Jersey
open house planner
manhattan condo market index
submit your listings
why sign up?
Become an Insider
post your listings
We are struggling with arguments on both sides of this master bath renovation in a 2 bed 2.5 bath UES apartment. The room is not large, and there is only 48 inches allocated to the vanity. This 48 inches could fit one large sink and two faucets. The other option is to install just one faucet in a regular-sized sink and maximize counter space. What to do, what to do?!?
I would go go with the one sink and one faucet. What are the 2 faucets going to do for you?
I strongly prefer one faucet per sink.
Counter space is always good. Less hardware to clean around is also good.
Just went through this. I concluded that 48" was too narrow to try to squeeze in two sinks (or one large sink with two faucets). However, it's a matter of personal taste. Have you been to a plumbing showroom to actually stand in front of some 48" wide vanities?
Dealt with the same dilemma at one point, and the best advice I was given that having two faucets (or even two sinks that are too close) is pointless, cause you'll be elbowing one another if you try to stand there together anyway. So you'll end up using the sink(s) one at a time either way. One good sized sink and counterspace = best choice in my opinion.
flarf, we have stood in front of a 48" vanity. You are right, it's not ideal, but it seems like it could work. The second faucet could save us time at night and in the morning, but not if our elbows tangle! It's definitely not ideal. A double vanity is common among neighborhood master bathroom comps. I don't want to force it, but for the eventual resale I thought the size of the bathroom could be overlooked with the existence of a double (albeit stretched) vanity. Maybe the extra counterspace is the way to go...
The important thing is you have at least 2 full baths, the most crucial element to sustaining a relationship with someone. :)
Truth--absolutely correct! When my husband and I were first moving in together that was the number one criterion. After all, who wants to hop around doing the pee-pee dance while one's SO is reading the newspaper on the terl?
I think resale value is an important consideration in a lot of matters but not this one. If a future buyer really wants to have two sinks in the master bathroom, that's not a terribly difficult modification in the grand scheme of things, and I can't believe it would be a deal breaker for 99% of buyers. Screw the remaining 1% and have your bathroom set up the way you want it.
regular sink, more counter space
There are nice 48" double sinks.