New York City
Washington DC Metro
Northern New Jersey
open house planner
manhattan condo market index
submit your listings
Benefits of FREE account
Become an Insider
post your listings
I'm a long time reader of these forums, but my first time posting. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge of renovation costs in NYC can help me figure out if I'm getting taken for a ride here.
I just bought a 2bed 2bath and am looking to do some work:
- drop ceiling in living room (4.5K)
- installing 12 recessed lights (200/light)
- remove existing recessed light in kitchen and add 3 new ones (900)
- remove existing recessed light in foyer and add 2 new ones (700)
- hide TV and internet cable in each room and install new outlets (1.2K)
- Repaint entire apartment and put wallpaper on one wall (4.2K)
- Reinforce 2 walls for TV mounting in two rooms (900)
- new closet doors for 2 closets (raising clearance, restoring door opening, etc (2.7K)
- other misc items (install additional switches, change shower head, install shelving in shower, etc)
For this work, I was quote 18,800 total. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your help!!
If you've been reading, you probably know the GC names here. I would email them for a quote directly. There are always questions/issues you may not have considered. As always, there is no such thing as "good AND cheap". GL with your reno and congrats on your new place.
not seeing anything crazy in that quote with work being done in manhattan
I think the price is ok, your contractor could probably go down a little if you ask him on painting and closets, the rest is what the standard price is.
To me it sounds a little on the low side. The painting price seems low because there is a lot of patching to be done with running the cable in the walls
Agree with primer05. Does the 4.2k include all plaster repairs, paint? I think it is much higher after chopping. I hope you have more than one quote for it? firstname.lastname@example.org