Printed from StreetEasy.com at 03:59 PM, Aug 21 2014
http://streeteasy.com/talk/discussion/15482-open-house-by-appointment-only
Talk » Sales » Discussing '"Open House by Appointment Only"'

"Open House by Appointment Only"
SAVE    RSS

18 comments

I went an open house in SoHo today, but several others were listed as "Open House by Appointment Only".

I'd like to hear the brokers here defend this one as anything but yet another dishonest broker scam, to get their property listed in a search category they should not be in.

For some coops, open houses are not technically permitted. Brokers can't advertise an open house, per se. So what many do is qualify it as "by appointment" since the coops do permit showings by appointment. While the broker in such a situation may be able/willing to show the unit during the week, many will simply bunch a ton of appointments into a window on a Sunday, show up with an assistant, and have the assistant greet the buyers in the lobby while the broker shows the apt. One or both of them will shuttle the buyers from the lobby to the apartment since that is also likely part of the house rules.

I think some of the ferocity in the OP may be misplaced in this instance.

Oh ok, it is just a way to get around the co-op rules, fine by me then.

I thought condos didn't have these goofy restrictions. Both units that were by appointment today were condos.

I can tell you for sure one Condo which has (or at least had, unless they changed it) restrictive rules regarding open houses: The Chelsea Mercantile.

I a

Oops, that was a bit premature. I have been to a few of those open houses by appointments. I think so etimes people don't behave very well and start exploring the building on their own. The neighbors complain, and voilĂ ! New rules. It seems more common in large buildings, coops or condos.

On Streeteasy, some of the "Open House by Appointment Only"s today were for townhouses. In Bed-Stuy.

Probably a block association rule or something, I know how strict those Bed-Stuyers are! Can't be brokers looking to drum up interest in their listings. Nah, Prudential Elliman brokers I am sure wouldn't stoop to that.

Yup, I am sure it can't be the brokers. Thanks for correcting me!

Open Houses

15 Broad Street #3530
Condo, Financial District
Listed by Prudential Elliman
Sun, Oct 18 (by appointment only)

15 Broad Street #2524
Condo, Financial District
Listed by Corcoran
Sun, Oct 18 (12:00 - 2:00)

There are many other buildings that appear to have this discrepancy, probably a StreetEasy glitch, since we know it is not the brokers.

The Level Club is a condo which doesn't permit open houses. I have been to open houses there where the showing broker was either flaunting the rules or gave the excuse that they didn't know the rule until it was too late.

And some brokers obviously ask for appointments for their own time management. Why does it make you so angry? Would it make you happier if they just held the fort for 2 hours? It's not like it's hurting anyone or they are lying.

Look up the definition of "open house". It's either an open house or by appointment, there is no hybrid. I don't want my searches for open houses cluttered up with appointments. Same way I don't want a "no fee" rental listing filled with fee-charging brokers.

While a few may be due to restrictions, a quick perusal of the 100 listed today as "Open Houses by Appointment" looks like most are an abuse of the system to get their listings to pop up when it should not, in the hope that you will call.

ps: the true open house I went to today was bleak, I was only person to sign in and after spending some time, no one else had shown up. 3,000 sf loft in SoHo, nice place.

Nothing is fixed forever. I actually think it's a good idea to run things by appointments as the market is slow. I never minded calling, and nothing is sadder than a broker who's been alone for 2 hours. What does it take to sell a place these days? 4 months? 6 months? Better some open houses than none because it's a waste of time.

Is there a Streeteasy suggestion thread?

How about adding emails about upcoming open houses to Saved Buildings emails, otherwise it is easy to miss them, as you have to click on each building to check. Unless somebody has an easier way to do this.

"On Streeteasy, some of the "Open House by Appointment Only"s today were for townhouses. In Bed-Stuy.

Probably a block association rule or something, I know how strict those Bed-Stuyers are! Can't be brokers looking to drum up interest in their listings. Nah, Prudential Elliman brokers I am sure wouldn't stoop to that."

In Bed-Sty, they probably don't want to put a sign on teh door letting anyone who passes by that if you ring the bell, they will let you in even if they have no idea who you are

"

Look up the definition of "open house". It's either an open house or by appointment, there is no hybrid. I don't want my searches for open houses cluttered up with appointments. Same way I don't want a "no fee" rental listing filled with fee-charging brokers.

While a few may be due to restrictions, a quick perusal of the 100 listed today as "Open Houses by Appointment" looks like most are an abuse of the system to get their listings to pop up when it should not, in the hope that you will call.

ps: the true open house I went to today was bleak, I was only person to sign in and after spending some time, no one else had shown up. 3,000 sf loft in SoHo, nice place."

How about if the broker was sitting in the apartment for the entire time and gave you their cell phone number and all you had to do was call from out in front of the building and you go in. What would you call that?

these comments are so ridiculous its incredible. No broker wants to do an open house by appointment. Most would rather tons of prospective buyers to visit all at the same time so as to at least give the impression of a hot property. Open House by appointments are usually set by the co-op or condo board.

The other problem we run in to, I get email messages from people who say, "Are you having an open house this Sunday?" or "When are you having an open house?" So if you've got the building restriction, you kinda want to get people off your back about this. I guess some people just like being part of a herd? Actually, most likely they are not quite ready to buy so they don't want a private appointment.

I have an exclusive in a no-open-houses building and I'm still not doing any kind of OH, because "OH by appt" sounds like an oxymoron to me.

But please remember, people, it's the listing's broker's job to sell the apartment. We have an employment contract from somebody to do exactly that. Any advertising we can do is just doing our job well, that's all. So those who want to do a four-hour "OH by appt" are OK by me.

You know, sometimes we are helping someone who is in deep yogurt and really needs our help.

Once you become a homeowner, you, too, might find your back against the wall and you've got to sell your place yesterday or very bad things are going to happen to you financially.

If you find yourself in that situation, believe me, you'll be on your broker to do anything and everything to get that real estate sold, not excluding a shotgun.

And Dorai's absolutely right, the cats I know who do "OH by appt" only do it because they have to, they really would much rather run a conventional OH.

When you have a listing in a building that does not allow an open house the correct way to list is, "Open House, you must call to register". This way the broker can have a list of scheduled appointments, problem is sometimes clients decide not to call and just show up... Every building is different,some will actually monitor the NYT's when they know there is a listing available in their building-make sure the rules are not being broken.

Many agents list as "OH by appointment" to get the listing into the OH cue, Modern is correct. Usually because traffic has been so poor and they don't want to be locked down or have to pay an assistant to mind the shop. Look at many of the apartments that are listed this way, I bet you find "aggressively" priced homes that have been on the market for 90 days in the majority of cases.

But look at it this way, when it is listed "by appointment" it does indicate that the broker is available to show on that particular day, you just have to fire off an email...

18 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,706)
Market (1,456)
Neighborhoods (568)
Boards (258)
Renovation (1,713)
Anything (2,327)
Sales (22,749)
Developments (576)
Financing (474)