Printed from StreetEasy.com at 09:42 PM, Jul 31 2014
http://streeteasy.com/talk/discussion/18465-value-of-kitchen-pass-thru
Talk » Renovation » Discussing 'Value of kitchen pass-thru'

Value of kitchen pass-thru
SAVE    RSS

23 comments

I am debating about cutting a pass-through for the kitchen.
I know some people like closed kitchen so the smell from cooking is contained... some like it open to create the visual openess.

Personally I am kind of neutral, so I want to know what the general conception. Does a pass-through increases sellability?

Thanks.

it depends on the building and the apartment. in a prewar it may detract from the "character". in the post war it will add. if you're talking about a 1 Br it will definitely appeal to almost all. in a 2+ bedroom it will appeal to less.

It does seem to be a very individual decision. Some people love the look of an open kitchen while others want the appearance of a separate room even if the kitchen is right next to a living room/dining room space. I've seen a few apartments where part of the wall separating the kitchen from the dining area has been removed so you have sort of a partial opening up of the kitchen into the dining area. As ab_11218 notes, it does depend on what type of apartment you have (prewar vs. postwar) and with a one bedroom, opening up the kitchen usually makes the space look larger.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Good point about losing counter or cabinet space. And separate kitchens do look better if they have at least a small window in them.

I didn't fully commit to an open kitchen in our place. I'm a fairly messy cook but I also need to keep an eye on the kids while cooking. Yes, yes, I know back in the day, one didn't. Anyway, our kitchen has a corner open to the LR. Easy enough to seal up if it should ever become an issue.

no for completely open; yes for semi-open/pass-through. i love ours, it opens to our lr/dr so, like 10023, i can keep an eye on kiddos while cooking.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Thanks Alan, now the next time that I see an apartment with that cut-out pass through space in the backsplash area above the counter, I'm going to picture a puppet show there. LOL!!!

Ignored comment. Unhide

we have what alan describes - it doesn't hide the mess :)

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

Who actually eats at these breakfast bars? I always see them but nobody ever sits there and eats breakfast. I prefer a closed kitchen and as somewhereelse said - I'm a serious cook. I don't like people around me when I'm cooking

Ignored comment. Unhide

Something that wasn't mentioned yet is that such an opening will most likely provide natural light, which is really nice if the kitchen doesn't already have a window. Ours is also open above the wall cabinets, which maximizes the amount of light. On the other hand, I wouldn't sacrifice the wall cabinets to have it fully open.

How 'bout feng shui considerations. I seem to recall it's bad to have your stove in position where your back is towards the kitchen entrance.
In fact I think your stove placement is one of the most crucial elements if your into that sort of thing.

I had both and really just prefer the closed. Feels like an extra room. I do have a table in mine though -it's small eat in. I always served drinks in the living room. I have a bar area with all the glasses etc

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

I don't believe there is inherently a value that can be ascribed to a pass through or opening a kitchen in anyway. It is all about the overall design impact. One-size answer won't fit all here. It's the aesthetic/practical impact.

Those puppet show cut-throughs are generally silly, I think. Most look rather pedestrian to me. I like the idea of a one or two stool "breakfast bar" about 8" above the counter and open nearly to the ceiling. Ideally, an L-shaped bar the sort of cuts off the upper 1/2 of wall at a corner of the kitchen. You end up with a semi-open space that still is distinct and that can mask a reasonable amount of chaos from diners. This type of design works well in jr-fours and smaller type apartments with relatively small, typically galley type kitchens.

The reason I like the bar is that I'm always the one cooking and I get lonely. I like when someone sits at the bar with a drink and keeps me company but also stays out of my kitchen. Then semi-open design lets me watch/hear the TV from the livingroom while I do the prep work, chat with guests while I cook, and stay part of things. But that 100% open kitchen I am not a fan of and think will be a turn-of-the-century design that becomes dated. You lose tons of precious cabinet space and I don't know what is so great about exposing your sink full of dirty pots to the entire apartment.

In an apt with a larger kitchen or more classic style such as a prewar classic 6, I'd be very careful about how I'd alter the design--completely open would be silly and a little slit into the dining room could make no sense.

Bottom line: careful design on this can yield nice results, but be careful to avoid a boring pedestrian look when it is over.

Hardly a helicopter mom. Very much the opposite. But there is a 6-month window for some kids when they are truly fearless and can reach, chew, and get themselves in trouble. I wouldn't change the entire design of the place based on the 6-month window but semi-open (corner is open is sufficient for me).

23 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,682)
Market (1,456)
Neighborhoods (565)
Boards (253)
Renovation (1,700)
Anything (2,316)
Sales (22,703)
Developments (575)
Financing (471)