Printed from StreetEasy.com at 06:43 PM, Nov 22 2014
Talk » Financing » Discussing 'What happens at the end of the Co-op's mortgage?'

What happens at the end of the Co-op's mortgage?
SAVE    RSS

13 comments

Hi,

Sorry if this a dumb question, but I'm currently looking to buy a unit in a building whose mortgage expires in June 2013. They have been paying down principal throughout the life of the mortgage, so there isn't a balloon payment or anything.

Does this mean that the co-op will be mortgage free in 2013, like a person would be, once they paid off their mortgage. I've never seen a co-op without a mortgage, so this sounds strange to me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

So when in a coop listing you see "Building just paid off mortgage" like it's a good thing is that not necesarily the case?

Also does this affect how much of maintainence is tax deductible? I had sort of figured a portion of maintenance was tax deductive because it was essentially the underlying mortgage but if no mortgage does this mean 0% of maintainanec is tax deductible?

your % of property tax would still be deductible

Dominic: this is a very good thing. Your mtce will decrease by a sig. amount, and your co-op won't have to worry about increasing interest rates as much. If they need to, the co-op might get another loan in the future for capital projects/major repairs. Most co-ops do not pay off their mtges, and this can be a dangerous thing as major repairs become needed and interest rates rise.

@bernie, maintenance is essentially:

* Labor (doorman, porter, supers);
* Building upkeep (big repairs like roof and hallways, everyday stuff like changing lightbulbs in lobby);
* Underlying mortgage, and
* Property taxes.

#3 and #4 are deductible, and usually make maintenance work out to 50 -60% T.D. Without #3 as a factor, villager is right, #4 is still deductible, so it's probably in the range of 20-25% T.D.

I just placed clients in a UWS building that will have its underlying mortgage paid off in 2014; at that point, the building will have to decide whether to lower maintenance, or keep the maintenance as is and use the $$ to add a part-time doorman or a roof deck.

ali r.
DG Neary Realty

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

Great, thanks everyone for your responses. They have been very helpful.

13 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,731)
Market (1,457)
Neighborhoods (573)
Boards (267)
Renovation (1,747)
Anything (2,340)
Sales (22,874)
Developments (578)
Financing (475)