Printed from StreetEasy.com at 06:41 PM, Dec 20 2014
Talk » Renovation » Discussing '8 foot solid wood doors. Where to buy?'

8 foot solid wood doors. Where to buy?
SAVE    RSS

40 comments

I want to replace my 7' hollow wood core door with an 8' solid "wood" core door. What are the recommended stores for 8' solid wood interior doors besides, Home Depot, Lowes at a reasonable price. I'm leaning towards a clean flat surface or shaker style or colonial 6-panel door.

1. No hollow-core door.
2. No solid "core" door.
3. Yes solid-wood door.

Check out Trustile doors. They have a website. http://www.trustile.com/ Dyke's Lumber sells them in NYC. Realize "solid" doors are going to weigh a spectacular amount if they are 8' high. You'll need the right supports (frame/hardware). By solid I assume you mean not cheap feeling. Trustile for example sells very weighty substantial feeling doors made primarily of MDF which close with a huge thud and take paint magnificently--but they are not entirely solid because they would weigh hundreds of pounds. Trustile also sells wood doors. Theirs are completely customizable.

Check out Trustile doors. They have a website. http://www.trustile.com/ Dyke's Lumber sells them in NYC. Realize "solid" doors are going to weigh a spectacular amount if they are 8' high. You'll need the right supports (frame/hardware). By solid I assume you mean not cheap feeling. Trustile for example sells very weighty substantial feeling doors made primarily of MDF which close with a huge thud and take paint magnificently--but they are not entirely solid because they would weigh hundreds of pounds. Trustile also sells wood doors. Theirs are completely customizable.

I assume you realize that you will have to most likely replace the door frame/jamb, as well as reframing the door opening to accommodate a taller door. You also need to consider new mouldings or perhaps flushmounting the door without mouldings. I would personally go for a solid-core door with a flat/slab profile. In my house I have solid core slab doors with birch surfaces finished with nothing but Danish oil. Lovely stuff! Solid wood will tend to warp over time.

You could try United House Wrecking (they sell new doors as well) in Stamford, CT

When I was a kid I used to LOVE when my parents would take us to United House Wrecking. We'd wander around for hours discovering all sorts of mystical treasures and oddities. I think my dad still has a grab handle from a 1940s subway (the ones they replaced the leather strapped handles with) that he found there along with rusted street signs from his boyhood street in the Bronx.

what is it with these giant doors, is this suddenly the new thing, or just a UES fad?

I'm curious to know what neighborhood you're in.

ali r.
DG Neary Realty

I was mid-reno when I decided to change the specs for 8' doors. Cost a bomb to reframe but worth it, IMO. If you have 9' ceiling ht, it makes the rooms feel even higher. I got the doors pre-hung from www.interiordoors.com. Ohio-made, okay quality - didn't feel like spending thousands. I went for a clean 1-panel look (solid core, poplar).

I have high ceilings 11', but low 7' doors and low 7' closet doors with 8' interior height. With 8' doors it looks nicer, solid wood doors helps with the sound proofing, the wood trim matches the height with the windows trim and closet and door. Just one of those things that have really bugged me, and now I'm fixing it.

I probably wouldn't have cared to change it but the original cheap hollow wood doors were just too lame. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

fwiw: good doors come in various thicknesses. Trustile, for example, can be ordered 1-3/8" thick, 1-3/4", and 2" I think. Really thick sounds so luxe but WATCH OUT! Again, these things get very, very, very heavy. Hit a certain point and three hinges are needed instead of two and hanging them get harder. The support system must be adjusted as well. Ever slam a finger in a solid door? Try doing it with a 2" think solid door: your finger will come off.

I ordered the middle thickness of 1-3/4". It is incredibly luxurious and solid feeling, but was probably overkill. For closets the thinner 1-3/8" would likely have been 100% acceptable.

That said, good doors are a good investment--people go crazy for them. Everyone who visits seems to feel the need to comment on how much they love the doors (Trustile MDF 1-3/4" thick, single panel with scooped panel edges and "type A" sticking around the panel--lots to customize!). We set them in casings (moulding that goes around a doorway) and used polished nickel high-quality hinges with polished nickel Samuel Heath knobs. We installed frame light switches which I love beyond words for the closets.

Anybody know about replacing a regular door with a sliding industrial door? Know where to get one?

Does it have to be "industrial" - you could just get the hardware & get a flat door made, no?

I have a slight regret that my closet doors (one in each bedroom) are 6'8" instead of the 8' everywhere else. It doesn't look too bad, though.

"Anybody know about replacing a regular door with a sliding industrial door? Know where to get one?"

You do realize that you are going to need over twice the horizontal wall space than "normal" for using such doors, right?

"fwiw: good doors come in various thicknesses............"

All the doors in my apartment are 1 3/4" thick "French" doors with beveled tempered glass panes. They are supposed to me Mahogany, but I suspect (as a lot of "Mahogany") they are actually Brazilian Cherry. All the North/South facing doors are 8' and all the East/West facing doors are 80". I couldn't imagine using only 2 hinges on any of them. The shorter doors have 3 and the taller one's 4, and they are Omnia 7" x 4" lift off barrel hinges (I think they weight like a pound each)

Loftydreams -- Barndoorhardware.com You will need to get a door separately -- you are better off going to one of the reclaimed fixture places and finding an appropriate piece. And, you may need to put wood blocking behind the sheetrock/plaster.

Once again, thanks for all the links everyone, very helpful.

kylewest, how do you like your MDF doors? Are they sturdy, heavy, and block noise reasonably well (taking into account how well it is sealed around the frame and gap below the door and floor)? Do they "flex" at all and how well do they take the occasional "dings" and "bangs"? Any dents in the doors yet?

I'm thinking the MDF looks really nice and since I'm going to be painting them white anyway, there is no sense in getting the more expensive wood species. Btw, http://www.trustile.com/ is very handy, except for getting price quotes and http://www.interiordoors.com is handy at providing price quotes.

Truely solid wood doors are a bad idea - they crack very easily. Well constructed composite doors are actually much nicer and do a better job of soundprofing.

"Truely solid wood doors are a bad idea - they crack very easily. Well constructed composite doors are actually much nicer and do a better job of soundprofing."

The biggest issue with soundproofing isn't the door, it's the installation. You can get the best triple pane sound isolating windows, but if they are open even a crack........ but even so, Soundproofing is largely a matter of density, so I doubt EQUIVALENT hardwood doors are less sound proof than composite doors: perhaps you are comparing the typical prewar door which has thick outer styles, but often very thin panels in the middle.

And if you aren't painting them, but instead want to stain, what do you suggest aside from hardwoods doors?* MDF with a wood veneer? None of my solid woods doors have experienced cracking issues in 15 years. And MDF wood veneered doors are subject to very easily being cracked, dinged, etc.

In addition, the thing about solid wood doors is that you can easily make your doors/ doorways whatever size you want: just rip equal amounts off of both long sides of the doors. What do you do with composite doors if you want non-standard sizing? For example, the Trustile MDF doors have a hardwood wedge at each out edge to hold the screws for the hinges. Cut an inch and a half off each side of the door to narrow it by 3" and what happens?

* I know someone is going to point out the Trustile doors, but even they don't call these MDF doors, they call them wood doors with MDF core panels.

@ lisa_asil: We love our custom Trustile MDF core doors. They are painted so I don't think practically speaking we'd know any difference if they were wood. You order them completely sized to fit so you don't saw them down or anything. You just do fine adjustments on-site. I'm not sure what 30yrs example is about sizing the doors--my doorways don't change size and I ordered the doors to fit them. Being able to saw a solid wood door is not an advantage to me.

Re: how MDF wears. We are very gentle on our things and don't bash the doors so I don't really know how they deal with any type of abuse. For the year we've been here the doors are in perfect condition. I think they probably block sound the same as wood but I don't have anything to base a comparison on. All I can add is that the 2 prewar apts we renting in while looking and renovating the apt we bought had wood doors that didn't have any noticeable advantages to the ones we have now. Maybe in 80 years (likely the age of the doors in our rentals) I'd see that MDF didn't age as well, but that is for 4 generations to come of owners of my apartment to deal with.

I know the space is big, but the old doors are like art. nycsport, thanks, that's very useful. also found krownlab.com in dwell magazine. but still need to find the old metal doors. hubby found a wood office door like Sam Spade's, with star-burst glass and gold-leaf number -- may not be to everyone's taste but we think it's cool. But still looking for rusty old steel industrial door.

"I'm not sure what 30yrs example is about sizing the doors"

Because most doors come in pre-made form, not cu$tom. I guarantee custom made MDF doors from Trustile cost SIGNIFICANTLY more than pre-made. How much per door did you pay for paint grade MDF doors in custom sizing?

"Being able to saw a solid wood door is not an advantage to me."

If it makes the difference between being able to purchase a door "off the rack" as opposed to cu$tom order them, it can make a very substantial difference in both price and timing issues.

As an example, the doors I bought were pre-made. I'm still happy with the quality and would buy the exact same doors if I had to. But just the beveled glass panels ALONE to buy from a glass fabricator cost more than the cost of my whole doors. And I got them delivered within a week of finding them (at United House Wrecking).

Got it 30yrs. I have no idea what we paid. It was all a bottom line figure for the reno and we had to play with door widths as we configured the layout to accommodate various constraints and challenges. You're probably right that between the doors (I can't imagine there were more expensive ones that weren't some kind of solid wood) and the hardware, most people's ears would bleed upon hearing the cost. Fortunately we only needed 8.

Check out our huge custom mahogany door selection on our webpage http://www.DecoDesignCenter.com Custom sizes or designs is no challenge to us. We manufacture any designs you need in custom solid wood doors including also contemporary european interior wood door designs.

My 12 solid "mahogany" French doors with beveled glass panes cost about $4,000 total (raw). When I priced similar doors from various custom vendors (and none from NYC because they want ludicrous numbers - these were my usual "find someone in North Dakota" approach), the numbers were like $1,500 to $2,300 PER DOOR.

When my wife's mother's ex-BF first saw the apartment ( he was a very-semi known Japanese artist {and the only person I have ever met who was fluent in NO languages - kidding, but only slightly - since he had lived in NY for so long that he'd lost his proficiency in Japanese and never became proficient in English. I guess that's what being an artist living and working alone for decades will do to you} , but also a woodworker for about 6 decades) he almost cried over the doors. (OK, so I'm VERY house proud - Sosumi).

Hard to get a good idea from this photo, but it's the only one i could easily find which I have online in an unprotected page (at least i hope it's unprotected and you can see it)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs456.ash1/25115_1357579230249_1554543030_872681_4704489_n.jpg

bad photo (doesn't show details at all) but better angle to show doors)
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs082.snc3/15020_1382363249834_1554543030_925643_6260782_n.jpg

I have an extra door that was leftover from my construction job. It is solid pine ( no knots) raised panel door. It is already primed and wood is a high quality. It is 8 ft door 1 3/4 inches thick, 3 ft wide. I am selling it for $250.00. ( delivery included if in metro area.) You can email me at cmussa@nyc.rr.com if interested and in the meantime, I will have a photo made available.

Topme Decoration Material Co., Ltd was Established since 1992, which is located in Yiwu, China. We are expert in manufacturing and selling wood door seal, wood carvings, wood door, wood stairs. etc. By 2000 we have and develop the wholesale and retail dealers in the main cities in China. We built up the factory that amount to 88 mu, possess wood seal workshop, wood carving workshop, wood door workshop, stair workshop, painting workshop, quality control workshop, packing workshop, proofing workshop and other departments, etc. By 2007 we company develop into several branch companies for wallpaper or wall covering, furniture in Yiwu export products market.

Our staff and sale representatives induce increasingly. At present company has a great many of our own long term stable abroad customers from order here and foreign wholesale dealers. Company will develop the domestic and export sale at same time, meet market needs completely.
Check out our website:http://www.china-door-factory.com

Try http://www.uskaz.com/
they make custom doors.
(out of Brooklyn)

eh, you can buy solid wood doors of various dimension at home depot... I did that.

Olde Good Things is a fun browse, and you might get lucky - especially if you like vintage.
http://www.ogtstore.com/architectural-antiques/antique-doors.html

Ok So late to this conversation but I am thinking of putting 8 foot doors into a place with 9 foot ceilings. Is that too short? I wanted the doors to be 1 inch and 3/8 so that they are not too heavy but I am being told that for 8 foot I have to do 1 foot 3/4. It seems a little thick, like the outside door?
Also I found cheaper wood doors on interiordoors.com ve. Trustile, does anyone have any experience with one or the other?
And finally, wood vs. mdf?

It's fine. I have solid wood doors from interiordoors.com (one panel).

go local for doors and try exclusive door and hardware flushing ave brooklyn, ny
http://www.exclusivedoor.com/
also try to get good contractor for redo the openings and moldings.

www.renovationcostny.com

Oliadesigns,

I have installed 8' doors in apartments that are 8' high (I did have to trim them a little) I like trustily very much but I would also look at door stop out of NJ. They might cost less

Build it Green has rescued-from demolition doors of all sorts of sizes, constantly changing inventory. They will need to be refinished (and often stripped) but are also often architecturally interesting and always very inexpensive. bignyc.org

40 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,734)
Market (1,457)
Neighborhoods (575)
Boards (268)
Renovation (1,750)
Anything (2,341)
Sales (22,875)
Developments (578)
Financing (475)