Printed from StreetEasy.com at 02:51 PM, Sep 2 2014
http://streeteasy.com/talk/discussion/23488-non-venting-dryer-bad-idea
Talk » Sales » Discussing 'Non-venting dryer--bad idea??'

Non-venting dryer--bad idea??
SAVE    RSS

14 comments

Are non-venting clothes dryers a waste of time or are there some that actually work? And if so, how do they compare with the good ol' venting varieties?

venting is always better. I have a ventless and as long as I keep it clean ie remove lint, it works well.

My ventless works well. Overall i love my stackable mieles. I use low heat with the dryer and it still gets the job done after only two cycles depending. Sometimes it can feel a little steamy in that closet but overall its perfect. SuttonPlace is correct though... you must keep it clean and dont overload either the washer or the dryer.

Thanks--it's a conundrum because many buildings we're looking at don't allow through-wall venting and we don't want to jerry-rig a vent pipe out a window.

i agree with both posters and also have the stacked meiles. however, i was told to always keep that cabinet door open when the dryer was on which i do. it may take longer than a conventional dryer, but it gets the job done. and a thousand times better than having to go to a basement laundry or send the laundry out!

I've had a non-venting dryer for about 20 years -- yikes. First was a GE. I had never had a washer-dryer in my own apartment before so I was thrilled; who cared if it took a while to dry the bath towels? But then we moved and renovated and installed an Asko and aside from an occasional service call (yes, the service contract is absolutely worth the price), it operated really well for 12 years until we moved and left it with our buyer. Now we have a Bosch set and love it; Miele is the gold standard but also much more costly and I'm not sure how it could be better.

Is vented better? Absolutely. But given the choice of no W/D or one that is self-venting, there's no question that going ventless is a small compromise.

A few tips: you need to have the W/D installed with a floor pan and alarm so if there is a leak you and your downstairs neighbors will be protected (you probably need to do this with any W/D); the alarm also shuts off the water to minimize any leak. If it's installed in a closet keep the door open to help with the venting (not so great in the summer but a handy humidifier in the winter). Keep the any vents clear of lint and it will prevent damage and maximize efficiency.

Also, the new models are vastly improved from those in the past. They're more efficient, use less energy (they're almost all electric), and won't beat up your clothes like the heat beasts in basement laundries. The best brands seem to be Asko, Bosch, and Miele. Most are Energy star rated and good values are available on the web (where we bought ours).

Again, the service contract is really worth the cost. Your W/D will always be the first appliances to need attention and service calls are always costly. Hope this helps.

I have a Bosch ventless. The usual procedure is to run it for one cycle, run it another 20 minutes, then hang the cloths up around the apartment so they can finish drying.
We do tend to overload it, so that probably plays a role.

I have a Bosch ventless also. The key as everyone said is to clean the lint from the dryer--and not just the screen. I've found balls of lint in the machine's innards after I've removed the metal lint filter. So I make sure to wash the metal lint filter and remove any lint that may be behind the metal lint filter. Whenever my dryer is not drying clothes thoroughly, it's because of lint built-up.

>NextEra: Is vented better? Absolutely. But given the choice of no W/D or one that is self-venting, there's no question that going ventless is a small compromise.

Well said. I would only add that overall, the vented solution is far preferable. If you have any possibility to vent outside, even if it involves a higher initial cost, go for it.

I had an Asko ventless stackable W/D. It was better than nothing but washing time took a long time due to the small size and many loads (color, whites, etc.,). I then bought those huge/XXL capacity W/D. Now I only do 2 loads - one for whites, one for colors and it is so fast. The constant noise of the dryer is the thing of the past.

I vent into those water buckets. Just wrap a panty hose at the end of the vent and into the water bucket and it is good. My laundry closet does get a little dusty though, but that's what my Hepa air filter is for ;).

Ignored comment. Unhide

No, it is good and VERY legal in NYC.

Nevermind what nycmatt doesn't know. Codes allow it, permits allows it.

These are all very helpful replies. We're considering purchasing an apartment in a co-op that does not allow any alteration of the facade so venting W/Ds and thru-wall ACs wouldn't be an option. Trying to gauge how much of a nuisance this would be...

Make sure you can upgrade the electrical if you're buying a European dryer. You'll need 208/220-240 V.

14 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,714)
Market (1,456)
Neighborhoods (568)
Boards (261)
Renovation (1,722)
Anything (2,334)
Sales (22,765)
Developments (576)
Financing (474)