Printed from StreetEasy.com at 09:54 PM, Apr 23 2014
http://streeteasy.com/talk/discussion/29680-manhattan-transfer-stinks
Talk » Neighborhoods » Discussing 'Manhattan transfer stinks!'

Manhattan transfer stinks!
SAVE    RSS

5 comments

I don't mean the music....
After many hard battles it would appear that the sweet smell of success is about to leave Yorkville.

UES trash barge (finally) comes in
After years of unsuccessful challenges to the facility from residents, the city requests bids to build a $190 million waste transfer facility on the East River at East 91st Street.
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20120125/REAL_ESTATE/120129934
The new East 91st Street three-story waste transfer station will replace one that closed at the same location in 1999, and will process up to 5,280 tons of trash per day. The city has not yet decided where the garbage will end up, but officials expect to complete contracts for the transportation and disposal of the waste by the middle of the year.
“The issuance of the RFP is just one more step for a real five-borough solution to a five-borough problem,” said Eddie Bautista, executive director of the New York City Environmental Justice Alliance and former director of the mayor's office of city legislative affairs. “This is exactly the way we should be going. Communities in the South Bronx and Brooklyn that have been bearing close to 70% of the city's solid waste burdens are breathing a little easier.”
Taken that you Richy Riches of Yorkville...smell this you 1%'erstwhile
If only that were true...
Going to be some unhappy faces around Asphalt Green
Hewwww that smell...
Can't you smell that smell
All around you.....,

could I be the only one interested?
marco, are they not building this in your livingroom?

As the wind blows west to east 95% of the time, I'd expect those in Long Island City and Astoria to be the most interested.

fat lady hasnt sung yet...and no its not in my living room. mailed from council member Jessica Lappin today.

This week, in what can only be considered an extreme case of optimism, Mayor Bloomberg's administration put out a request for bids to construct the Marine Transfer Station (MTS) at East 91st Street.
Mayor Bloomberg's staff may be pretending that all systems are go. But, despite our recent setback in the courts, permits have not been issued, lawsuits are pending, and federal agencies are still questioning the accuracy of the data submitted by the Department of Sanitation. Furthermore, I believe that the cost of this project has risen substantially and the city simply can't afford to build it. That is why I have filed an official Freedom of Information Request with the Department of Sanitation asking for revised cost estimates and plans associated with this project.
I know that you are as committed as I am to defeating this MTS and I am still hopeful that, by working together, we can keep this ill-conceived project from being built.

Ignored comment. Unhide
5 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,590)
Market (1,453)
Neighborhoods (559)
Boards (238)
Renovation (1,634)
Anything (2,299)
Sales (22,417)
Developments (570)