Printed from StreetEasy.com at 05:42 PM, Jul 22 2014
http://streeteasy.com/talk/discussion/29967-chelsea-market-expansion
Talk » Neighborhoods » Discussing 'Chelsea Market Expansion'

Chelsea Market Expansion
SAVE    RSS

35 comments

Full scale model up in Chelsea Market that depicts what the proposed office tower and hotel tower will look like. Scary stuff.

If you're against the expansion, please sign the e-survey sponsored by the Greenwich Village Society For Historic Preservation:
http://www.change.org/petitions/oppose-the-plan-to-rezone-chelsea-market

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

Dear w67thstreet,

Not all of us want to live in a neighborhood dominated by soulless, unattractive structures. There's a reason most people don't want to live in Midtown...

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2009/06/what_happened_to_the_great_tra

It's not Greenwich Village, so it is not about the neighborhood (as you are not the Chelsea Society For Historic Preservation), it is about your views.

Why don't we turn your home back to horse stables, as I consider your living room an improper expansion of the neighborhood

And if you wanted to remove your neighborhood of soulless, unattractive structures, you would need to ship out about 98% of the people living there

Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.

I live quite nearby, and I'm inclined to support the expansion. Develop 9th and 10th all you want, just leave my Empire State Building views alone. ;-)

Some taller buildings other than the projects, which have probably some of the best views in all of Manhattan, might actually be nice for 9th Ave. The area has a commercial feel to it anyway around 14th-16th.

http://www.change.org/petitions/oppose-the-plan-to-rezone-chelsea-market

I don't mind the expansion, it's the fugliness I'm against. looks like the bus depot at the port authority. what's that style? mid-century mistake? post industrial eye sore?

lad: as if 9th needs more hotels (& traffic). there's already Dream, Maritime, Gansevoort, Standard, Soho House...

Ignored comment. Unhide

olive garden??!! that's depressing
bring back the trannies & large rats that wandered northward from meat packing

Ignored comment. Unhide

"Better to protest the continued expansion of ultra-mediocre New York University within Greenwich Village."

NYU is like a disease that keeps spreading all over & consuming the Village.

Comment removed.

NYU is one of the institutions that makes NYC, NYC; students and education and cheap eats and entertainment are part of the tapestry of NYC. The fact that NYU keeps growing is a salute to the vibrancy of this city. When the young people leave, we are in trouble.

downtownsnob, this one's for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPKe9OfWs-M

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

Falcogold1: exactly! I'd argue that much of chelsea mkt's charm comes from its 1890s aestethic. that's why they don't need to build a modern tumor on top.

Ignored comment. Unhide

The Mallification began long ago. This market uis nothing but a Mallification.

But, but...I can see them baking, and gift wraping my $9 cup cake.
Oh look! a $17 loaf of bread, can I get that gift wraped as well?
I love NY! Is there anywhere else where 87cents of ingredients plus 1 dollar of gift wrap can sell for $14.98?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.

"I live quite nearby, and I'm inclined to support the expansion. Develop 9th and 10th all you want, just leave my Empire State Building views alone. ;-)"

lad, I'm with you 100%. (There's supposed to be a new hotel going up right next to the Eventi,a couple of stories higher, and that is much more of a concern to me.)

Go Violets!
The Violets apparently love their name so much that in 1983—upon re-launching the NYU basketball program after a 12-year hiatus—they personified it as a mascot. Courtside at the inaugural November 26 game was a walking, talking flower decked out in a skintight green bodysuit, huge purple necklace and violet face paint. Somehow, players from the opposing Community College of New York team were not intimidated. It was a very sad time to be a violet. Pride is a mixed bag of selective memories.

Comment removed.
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

Getting back to Chelsea Market, I just want to remind everyone that this neighborhood has been rocked by 20 years of development, featuring the mushroom-like growth of a few interesting buildings, but a hell of a lot of over-sized, pug-ugly turkeys. Okay, fine. NYC is about growth and change. But when a company comes along, that wants to to build a hideous 9 story Port Authority bus depot-style on top of a beautiful, well used, much loved, historic building, bundle it with two other properties (one in California!) - purely as a mega-return, investment scheme to benefit the developer and add to the bottom line of pension funds in Australia and New Mexico, and a whole lot of people who live in the neighborhood say "Enough! This is too much", where is the problem in that? Everyone living in Chelsea should just take whatever crap anyone wants to shove down their throats and say thank you? Are the citizens of a community allowed any say in what goes on in their neighborhood, or should they just roll over, because this is big, hip NYC where all the big money deals are made, and "the little people" should just stay shut?

35 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,678)
Market (1,456)
Neighborhoods (565)
Boards (253)
Renovation (1,696)
Anything (2,311)
Sales (22,681)
Developments (574)
Financing (471)