Printed from StreetEasy.com at 06:53 PM, Oct 30 2014
Talk » Renovation » Discussing 'Sandblasting radiators'

Sandblasting radiators
SAVE    RSS

9 comments

I have a half a dozen of them in my apartment in lower Manhattan. What is the most cost effective way to get them sandblasted? Would I be better off buying new radiators? How much $$$ would I be spending?
Thanks for your responses.

There was a shop on Great Jones between Bowery and Lafayette that did sandblasting well ,at fair prices;I have not used them in 3 years.
I suspect ,however,that hiring a plumber to remove and re-install the radiators will cost much more than the cleaning itself.
Unless these are of historical significance, you are probably better off purchasing new ones. Good luck.

broader question....can you sand blast inside? im looking to clean some brick (including removing paint) and i was wondering if anyone sand blasts inside

also do you just want to get the paint off? why not just apply a stripper...shouldnt be too difficult because there aren't little crevices (like in brick) for the paint to go in

Estaban,

The place Spanky3604 is great. I have not used them in a while but If I remember correctly it cost around $300-$400.00. One issue is that the radiator is generally pretty heavy and you might have to pay someone to bring them in. If you want a nice clean paint job the should then be sprayed with a special paint

Nintzk,

There might be cleaner ways to get the paint off the brick. In theory you can sand blast inside if you are doing a complete renovation.

Paint stripper is a good suggestion. I strongly doubt you will find any company willing to sandblast the radiators or brick,inside a residential building.There is too much danger of older,underlying lead dust that would be created,migrating through cracks,between floors,pipe chases, etc. Too much potential liability for a reputable contractor to deal with.

Spanky,

I have to disagree there are sandblasting companies that will work on interior brick walls. what liability are you talking about?

Ignored comment. Unhide

It depends what you value most.

Factors to take into account.
1. Are the existing heaters delivering the right amount of heat?, I have seen apts where the capacity/size of the radiators are woefully too small, or in my case too powerful. I once had a 1ft by 8ft radiator, that when the room was measured, I ended up having it taken out (chopped into pieces :( it was unmovable) and replaced by a 4inch by 5ft slimline radiator. Efficiency can over rule beauty, even thou I love a good old fashioned looking radiator.

2. Size, do you need the "space " for something else, i.e. like the above example, my sofa then went back another 8 inches into the room. Or even more noticeable when I took the one out of the bathroom and put heated floors and towel rack, it made room for a small closet.

3. Safety if you have or will have children, they get so hot if not covered with a box, and if not covered then no need to sandblast, just clean.

4. Noise, if you are getting no "banging" of the steam pipes, this is pretty big with 2 part steam systems in NYC, it is another point to leave alone, and not replace with another size, as the different capacity can saddening cause the steam pipes to "clang".

5. Aesthetically what is the look you are going for?, and does the soulful gorgeous looking radiator add to it? Sorry about adding this last point, having said the above, I am such a sucker for an old cast iron radiator with good lines.

9 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,740)
Market (1,456)
Neighborhoods (571)
Boards (265)
Renovation (1,752)
Anything (2,348)
Sales (22,891)
Developments (578)
Financing (479)