Printed from StreetEasy.com at 02:50 PM, Aug 23 2014
http://streeteasy.com/talk/discussion/33296-financial-coop-secrets
Talk » Sales » Discussing 'Financial Coop Secrets '

Financial Coop Secrets
SAVE    RSS

15 comments
Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.

fg: It's not a static resource. Financials of buildings change, as do the intention of shareholders and the composition of the boards. How much of an art this is is shown by the fact that even real estate attorneys, who process dozens and dozens of transactions a year -- and therefore "theoretically" should be better at managing boards than even brokers, because they should have more cumulative information -- aren't very good at it.

The other part of the equation is that when even when it's possible to identify what factors would help a buyer pass a board, buyers don't like to sit still for that. I've taken buyers (successfully) through multiple drafts of board packages that were as thick as a phone book, but whenever I'm the listing broker I hear: "that doesn't matter/I don't need to do that/that's such a minor point/I have privacy concerns about that/I'll do that if the board asks me, but not before."

If you think that lack of compliance will change just because someone posts that a particular building historically likes 18 months of cash reserves, I do truly have a bridge to sell you.

ali r.
DG Neary Realty

Comment removed.
Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.
Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.

Yikes, who is your (excellent) lawyer?
I'd love to have recommendations...

I don't think corporate counsel for most coops would favor publishing clear qualification formulae, because ambiguity regarding admission criteria is one important source of flexibility, ans of litigation protection.

That said, anyone selling a coop should either make it their business to find out roughly what the Board considers a qualified buyer, or hire a listing agent who already knows.

As for whether brokers really help people get into coops that might otherwise reject them, I don't think there's a clear-cut answer. It's not brain surgery. If you have a general idea of the Board's guidelines, you can identify the buyer's vulnerabilities and look for ways to mitigate them. The process is about as complicated as crafting a persuasive PowerPoint presentation (a simple task that seems to be beyond the grasp of many people, including a lot of brokers). The main advantage a broker has - aside from experience - is that brokers exchange information about Board guidelines rather freely with each other, but are often quite guarded with buyers.

Ignored comment. Unhide

YIKES - Are you a broker?

Ignored comment. Unhide

I agree falcogold1, this information should be published. People are making large purchases and yet it seems as if there are entrenched industry interests that seek to prevent information flowing. A serious buyer who has submitted a preliminary financial package ought to get a detailed view of the financials, purchase requirements today and in the past, the building conditions, the building shareholders and their makeup as well as assurance of on time maintenance payments, the percentage of owners and renters and sponsors, who is on the board.
Did I miss anything?

Ignored comment. Unhide
15 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,706)
Market (1,456)
Neighborhoods (568)
Boards (258)
Renovation (1,717)
Anything (2,328)
Sales (22,754)