Printed from StreetEasy.com at 10:11 PM, Apr 19 2014
http://streeteasy.com/talk/discussion/33299-difficult-to-find-a-subletter-for-four-months
Talk » Sales » Discussing 'difficult to find a subletter for four months?'

difficult to find a subletter for four months?
SAVE    RSS

6 comments

I'm currently renting and we are moving into a new place, potentially sooner than we thought. A combo punch of being pregnant and seeing a great place that's exactly what we want. So we are jumping at it, just a few months too early. Good news all around but my current lease doesn't end until April 30.

My ideal scenario allows me to advertise the unit on my own dime, using "NO FEE" to lure a new tenant to our large 1BR on a nice street in the W Village. From there, I'd like management to formally approve him, and he would effectively replace us on the lease either immediately or the next time the lease is up.

Anybody been through this? We have pretty good relationship with management (Brodsky) and the super, if that means anything. Would prefer to do this in-step with management, but would also consider working with a tenant on the sly until our lease was up.

Any suggestions here? We first signed in March 2010. Large 1BR in West Village. Clean and renovated with pre-war details like a fireplace and beautiful weight mantel. Three large closets. Kitchen and living room are open, which is really nice.

Here's the floorplan. We look out over a named W Village street. I figure this would move fast in this location.
http://i.imgur.com/7qXLp.jpg

There are a lot of people who have temporarily displaced by Sandy who are in need of short term living arrangements. My guess is that unfortunately many of those cannot afford market rate West Village. I would still see if FEMA or another agency has a registry of available short term housing and list your property there and if you have connections among people who live in Tribeca or FiDi you might find a subtenant that way as some of those buildings are still uninhabitable and will be for months.

Ignored comment. Unhide

I recently just subletted (the sub tenant) an apartment and it's not that hard.

You need to discuss with the management company first to see they aloow sublets (normally there is a small application charge to get the sub-letting tenant). Assuming this is ok, you need to arrange the necessary agreements with the sub tenant.

In most cases the legal obligations with regards to the lease are still under the tenant's responsibility. So it's imperative you find a good sub-let tenant and also ensure that they give you enough confidence that they will pay you so that you can pay the rent (and any other related expenses).

There may be some other sub-lets which may let you get out of your lease, but I have not no experience of these so cannot comment.

Good luck....

I like how the floor plan reflects the settling of the building.

https://twitter.com/SMTSay/status/270589691806507009
If you want to break your apartment lease, ask your landlord first. He/she may let you out. DO NOT start to advertise apt w/o permission!

In your case, I would want to start a new lease with the person, and I am sure you wold not want to be responsible. I would just let you out ASAP and start collecting a higher rent than you have now. I might have you show the place a few times for me over the next couple of weeks, if that many times.

Also FYI, keep in mind that your move out schedule might be 2-3 months....

6 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,588)
Market (1,453)
Neighborhoods (559)
Boards (238)
Renovation (1,632)
Anything (2,300)
Sales (22,419)
Developments (571)
Financing (468)