Printed from StreetEasy.com at 07:24 AM, Oct 31 2014
Talk » Financing » Discussing 'Eliminating Mortgage Interest Deduction'

Eliminating Mortgage Interest Deduction
SAVE    RSS

14 comments

Does anyone have any thoughts on how lenders would react if Congress eliminates the Mortgage Interest Deduction? We are considering a contract for a new construction. Will we be at risk for a big change in how much banks will lend or how much cash reserves they will require if the deduction goes away?

Ignored comment. Unhide

That's helpful. Thanks.

I don't think banks take into account the savings from the deduction when they evaluate the risk of the borrower.

I would think banks would have a bigger problem in the decline in demand for mortgages should the deduction be scaled back or eliminated.

Comment removed.

Banks don't consider the interest deduction in their lending criteria. You shouldn't either if it's the difference of being able to afford VS not afford a property. I love how much hype this has gotten. Don't get me wrong, I love it because it saves me money, and Realtors rely on it to use in their BS logic for owning real estate. But at the end of the day, it should be gravy, not something you need. If it is, you're borrowing too much.

I agree with NYC. The main impact would be that demand would go down. And that realtors won't be able to include it in their calculations pages.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Owners have tons of gravy, including a multi-million dollar payout when they retire or 30 more years of rent free living. The deduction is almost a moot point, and most owners earn too much anyway. Take the million dollar lottery payout at retirement and be happy.

ain't gonna happen!

> Owners have tons of gravy, including a multi-million dollar payout when they retire or 30 more years of rent free living. The deduction is almost a moot point, and most owners earn too much anyway. Take the million dollar lottery payout at retirement and be happy.

what are you talking about?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.
Comment removed.
14 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,740)
Market (1,456)
Neighborhoods (571)
Boards (265)
Renovation (1,752)