Printed from StreetEasy.com at 12:15 AM, Sep 2 2014
http://streeteasy.com/talk/discussion/33466-lease-holdover
Talk » Rentals » Discussing 'lease holdover'

lease holdover
SAVE    RSS

13 comments

We are buying a home and need 2 more months in our rent stabalized apartment. Any suggestions on how to approach the management company? I am hoping they may be more than willing since the lease is over on January 31, a slow time for renting.

if your landlord follows the letter of the rent stabilized law, they are only supposed to provide 1 year or 2 year leases...

While the letter of the law may say the landlord must provide a 1 or 2 year lease, they can also separately agree to cancel the new lease after 2 months with no penalty. I rented in a Glenwood building and that was how they handled it, very smooth, no problems. You just need a willing landlord. I would just go tell them your situation and ask them to agree to cancel with no penalty and see what they say.

We are in the same situation. Brodsky refuses to extend for 2 months, they offered to reduce the penalty to 1 month's rent (which is still a lot).

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

With a phone call and a simple question, just let them know ASAP. You are over thinking this.

I have a similar problem. I am NOT in a rent stabilized apartment, but need 1-2 extra months to close on a co-op. They are unwilling to extend the lease. They want to renew the lease at a much higher rate and then charge us 1/2 months fee in addition to that. We tried to ask nicely, but they are not being very accommodating. We even agreed to the rent increase, but asked to have the fee waived, but they won't budge.

My question is - what are the risks of just not moving out and continuing to pay the rent? Or, not paying the extra month's rent and not asking for the security deposit back? Will they not accept the rent payment and start eviction proceedings? How does that affect credit scores?

Ignored comment. Unhide

No, they have generally been okay. They are just a pain to deal with when it comes to leases. They upped quite a bit on our renewal and now, they are asking for what feels like an unfair amount of money for something that I can't see as hurting them at all.

Bobbysketch: Would you post how this turned out? Did you holdover? (i.e., not move out and continue to pay rent)

We ended up having to go exactly by what our landlord asked. The price of living in NYC, I suppose.

Comment removed.
13 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,714)
Market (1,456)
Neighborhoods (568)
Boards (260)
Renovation (1,721)
Anything (2,334)
Sales (22,762)
Developments (576)