Printed from StreetEasy.com at 09:59 AM, Sep 20 2014
Talk » Sales » Discussing '12 inches and make it hurt!'

12 inches and make it hurt!
SAVE    RSS

21 comments
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

Ha! That's a *typical* view if you live in a Tokyo apartment!

(Some people will have the other building put some silver sheeting on their outer walls so that more light reflects into their windows. It doesn't really work all that well.)

If they next door building is 12 inches away from their window, doesn't that mean there window is on the property line? Why should this family have more rights over his prioerty than the new developer?

If they don't like it, they should move their house away from their own property line, not try to move the house on the other person's property...

that's why i like towns that specify that you can't build x ft from property line. some are nuts to say 10 ft, but here it's millimeters

Always important to research building rights on adjacent lots and lots that can impact your views before purchasing. Then you can weigh the risks before buying.

Ignored comment. Unhide

> These whiners should join with their four neighbors on the other side and sell their shitboxes to a developer, who can put up a 125' building on the 125' lot.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

"So they should have built right up to his building. More energy-efficient for heating and cooling, tooI agree; it's more aesthetically pleasing, sanitary, and energy efficient when you don't have those tiny gaps between buildings. If you're going to have gaps, I think they should be 3 to 5 feet wide so that a human being can fit through them and so that you can put stuff like garbage cans and bicycles there. I wonder if one reason that the tiny 1-to-2-foot gaps are so viscerally unattractive is that a person can't fit into them, so they inspire a kind of claustrophobia. And there's not much uglier than seeing one of those gaps piled high with unremoved garbage.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Falco, I'm looking at the street view on Google Maps now and am noticing that:

* The neighbor's yard is entirely to the left of the house
* The neighbor's frontage (and that of 3531 and 3533) is roughly twice what the aggrieved 3525 family's frontage is
* The number of the neighboring house is 3529, and there's no 3527.

This makes it look like at one point there were five lots of equal size, and that some previous owner bought out 3527, razed it, and integrated it with 3529, which is why a monster apartment building filling up its whole lot looks so bad. Had a second single-family house been built in that space, even 12 inches from 3525, it wouldn't look as awful. Is this what's going on?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=3525 Bruckner Blvd, Bronx, New York 10461&layer=c&sll=40.847460,-73.827591&cbp=13,215.53,,0,-2.78&cbll=40.847685,-73.827383&hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=3525 Bruckner Blvd, Bronx, New York 10461&ll=40.847775,-73.827438&spn=0.006127,0.011737&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=0&iwloc=A&panoid=AzZhKwDbttCgAmKgEoFQfQ

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

From the article:

“He should have been required to have three feet of side yard,” Patty said.

Um, if it's 12" from your house, you don't have 3 feet of side yard, so why should they be forced to?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

@NWT - Good catch; I missed your post!

Comment removed.
21 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,722)
Market (1,456)
Neighborhoods (568)
Boards (263)
Renovation (1,728)