Printed from StreetEasy.com at 03:37 PM, Dec 22 2014
Talk » Sales » Discussing 'Worst Construction Quality & Style Decade?'

Worst Construction Quality & Style Decade?
SAVE    RSS

72 comments
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

NWT: you scare me. If you do see me on the street, you should say hi.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Okay, it wasn't that hard. Just had to focus for a few minutes. I'll wave to you when I jog up to the bridge.

Ignored comment. Unhide

NWT, props on the NYCMatt stalking.

I guess the fact that you have not said anything means you haven't figured me out yet? Do you think anyone has figured you out?

"in response to the post-war housing shortage"

FWIW, my grandfather was an architect/builder who designed/constructed thousands of "upscale" suburban houses and some apartment buildings from the 1920s to the 1960s. I've been in quite a few of them. Everything pre-war had nine- or ten-foot ceilings. Everything post-war had eight-foot ceilings. Building supplies were non-existent during the war and tight after the war, so builders economized wherever they could.

Ignored comment. Unhide

NWT: I hardly ever shop at Fairway any more. The Tribeca Whole Foods (on the way home from my day job) has me hooked. I do miss the chance encounters with 10023.

Returning to the original question, I'll go with the 80s for lowest quality and the 70s for worst style.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

2-4-6-8, who do we appreciate? NWT! NWT! NWT!

Ignored comment. Unhide

Worst of everything? Whenever popcorn ceilings first emerged or were generally utilized (70s? 80s?). Many sins of style can be forgive but NOTHING excuses popcorn ceilings.

Ignored comment. Unhide

construction during the 2003-8 boom. most are falling apart already and just wait a few more years for the rest to start falling.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

"Whenever popcorn ceilings first emerged or were generally utilized (70s? 80s?)"

Popcorn ceilings -- technically acoustic ceilings -- can be found in some 1950s and 60s California tract housing and, of course, later stock. The pre-1978 material was often made with asbestos. The post-asbestos formula turned out to be easier to apply, so use became more common in the late 1970s and into the 1980s.

Ignored comment. Unhide

NWT, can you please enlighten the streeteasy community - what is NYCMatt's building where doormen cannot accept tips, every unit is at least a 2-bedroom, all residents are thoroughly middle class, and every shareholder has been meticulously and thoroughly vetted in an infallible board approval process?

I thought Matt's building is a walk-up, where it would be sort of unusual to have doormen.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Your primary residence, of course. Which you had said in the past is a walkup.

Don't think you can be the "board president" in an investment property.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.

Hi NYCMatt, I guess I should have just asked directly. Which building is your primary residence?

Ignored comment. Unhide

Boo.

I don't follow your postings as closely as NWT, however, if I remember a snippet of detail correctly, you live somewhere in the Chelsea area, maybe even between Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.
Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.