Printed from StreetEasy.com at 04:30 AM, Apr 24 2014
http://streeteasy.com/talk/discussion/34147-where-have-all-the-new-rentals-gone
Talk » Developments » Discussing 'Where have all the new rentals gone?'

Where have all the new rentals gone?
SAVE    RSS

32 comments
Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.

I have an idea. just take investment condos and give them to people who make 40k/year. that will solve the problem.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

give - give - give - take them from the rich and give them to the employed but not so rich.

Plagiarism is simply not acceptable, even in satire. Please consult the haiku composers' handbook, ethics section. After studying up on the practice of troping age-old classics, then go back to page 1 and be advised that your syllabic content exceeds haiku's by definition. Also, it is unfair to discriminate against Long Island City (and other Queens areas, including real neighborhoods) by limiting one's creative energies to Brooklyn. Please report to LICComment for corrective instruction.

Ignored comment. Unhide

There are reasons why transit usage in the NY Metro area is the highest in the country. If you are earning middle income by the national standard, you can still work and live in NYC utilizing its "affordable" (may be barely now) public transportation and live in the outer boroughs. No one is entitled to live in the most desirable and most expensive few square miles.

Ignored comment. Unhide

isnt it 5-7-5 ?

Ignored comment. Unhide

Williamsburg Haiku:

My rent is too high.
Since Bedford costs too much,
I live in Bushwick.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Renters' Haiku:

I wish I could buy.
Since that is only a dream,
I predict a crash.

Ignored comment. Unhide

lol

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

The working force or the $70 K and below salary people need to be looking out of the City. Next city north Yonkers 20 min train or West New jersey or east queens and lI or south Brooklyn and Staten Island.

I wouldn't worry about the rental market at all. With the number of buyers on the market now, many rental vacancies will open up over the next 4 months and then we will be hit with another stellar season of new renters coming to Manhattan. What I would focus on NOW is finding people who are interested in SELLING their home. Sellers are getting asking or ABOVE for lower priced units due to the massive amount of first time home buyers. Finally credit has opened up and faith is being restored. The only problem is there is no inventory...

Where are you sellers??? WHERE ARE YOU!!!???

Ignored comment. Unhide

"With the number of buyers on the market now"

That's just crazy talk!
NYC housing prices are still falling!!!

signing off,
W64thstreet

"The working force or the $70 K and below salary people need to be looking out of the City. Next city north Yonkers 20 min train or West New jersey or east queens and lI or south Brooklyn and Staten Island"

Some jobs have really long hours -- finance in particular. These people need to be able to live close enough to walk to work, or the sleep deprivation that they already suffer will become even worse. Yonkers? Forget about it. I'd like to see developers create more of those "micro-apartments" (under 300 SF) so that such people, who don't really need much space, don't have to suffer on the trains every day. When their workload lightens, or when they get paid more, or when they get together with a partner who also earns a good income, then they can move to somewhere further away or to a bigger apartment.

RentNYCLuxury- There are no sellers because we can't afford to move up, without leaving town.

> Some jobs have really long hours -- finance in particular. These people need to be able to live close enough to walk to work

agree, and not only for finance, but across the board given how many benefits there are to ditch the commute. my husband works at a great university, just a 10' very pleasant walk from home. priceless.

> RentNYCLuxury- There are no sellers because we can't afford to move up, without leaving town.

move up from where? up from a 2 Bd?

Comment removed.

Yes, I am not complaining. We consider ourselves very lucky.

Comment removed.
32 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,590)
Market (1,453)
Neighborhoods (559)
Boards (238)
Renovation (1,634)
Anything (2,299)
Sales (22,417)
Developments (570)