Printed from StreetEasy.com at 09:57 PM, Nov 27 2014
Talk » Renovation » Discussing 'Ballpark estimate for these renovations'

Ballpark estimate for these renovations
SAVE    RSS

12 comments

Hi, I'm a prospective buyer and currently is looking to put in an offer for a place that needs some work. I'm hoping to get an idea of how much all that work will cost, and would greatly appreciate any feedback. The unit is a post-war high-rise built in the early 70s, 1 BR, around 650 ft.

Here are a list of things I would like to have done, in order of priority:

1. remove popcorn ceilings
2. hardwood floors (currently has engineered I believe)
3. bathroom floor and walls (mid-range quality), maybe sink and vanity
4. new HVAC units in LR and BR, or at least just the outside casing (possible?)
5. new windows

Thank you in advance!

Ignored comment. Unhide

50k?

Ignored comment. Unhide

I think 40-50k. The first two will cost over 20k alone.

Can you even replace windows in a highrise building yourself?

I would say around 40k
Its sounds like a lot but keep in mind you have to get licensed people that are approved by the building to do all the work.
Most of the cost will be labour.

Nice floor costs 20/sf, just the materials of the floor will be 13k

I am not sure how anyone can even throw out prices without knowing how many windows you are replacing and what type of windows are you installing?

I am not sure why people say... "how much will it cost"...

The right way to approach anything is... I have X dollars, can it be done for X.

Comment removed.

Thank you all for your input. I was hoping to spend at most 30k - popcorn ceiling removal and floors are musts, so I will just have to allocate whatever I have left accordingly. Again this is just to gauge how much I should adjust my offer.

HVAC - currently there are floor HVAC units with metal casing. How much would it cost to build a wood cover over the existing one? or to replace the metal casing?

Windows would be a nice to have - I was hoping to update the frames and maybe city windows, 3 panes in the BR and 2 panes in the LR. What would be the typical cost for one pane frame? Or is it possible to just replace the frame?

12 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,730)
Market (1,457)
Neighborhoods (573)
Boards (267)
Renovation (1,747)
Anything (2,340)
Sales (22,876)
Developments (578)
Financing (475)