Printed from StreetEasy.com at 01:42 PM, Jul 24 2014
http://streeteasy.com/talk/discussion/36078-short-term-leasing-mandatory-guest-registration
Talk » Boards » Discussing 'Short-term leasing & mandatory guest registration'

Short-term leasing & mandatory guest registration
SAVE    RSS

27 comments

What are some approaches that condos are taking to go after illegal short-term rentals (airbnb, etc.)? or at the very least, to regulate short-term rentals?

By-Laws provide for leases with a minimum of 30 days, although the management company has been enforcing a 6 month minimum and the Board acts as if the minimum is one year when approving Waivers of RoFR.

On a side note, is a Condo in NYC lawfully allowed to demand that residents register their overnight guests, in the name of going after those renting in airbnb, as well as "increased security" in the building?

In my opinion, it poses privacy issues for a resident having to do this, specially if she or he is not even involved with short term leasing. It also raises the question of how much say the homeowner has over their property.

I have heard of co-ops that ask that visitors staying for longer than a week register, but for overnight is kind of ridiculous.

K

Comment removed.

The great majority of people are not registered when visiting, they are just let in by the front desk.

Now, are they going to ask the person "are you spending the night?" to decide whether to register them?

are they going to stop an owner walking in with someone who they refuse to register?
Is the building entitled to Access Control to the owner's apt. when said owner comes home with someone?

The way I put it is, is it a presumably expensive apt. or am I suddenly back at a college dorm being tightly controlled to prevent people from bringing overnight guests?

All in the name of going after airBnB, no less.

Comment removed.

There is no disputing of there being access control when a guest arrives by themselves, for example to pick up keys and enter to stay.

I'm talking about the situation where the tenant or owner arrives with the guest, etc. Or the guest gets called up by the tenant.

I think that it is easy for an employee to confuse all of the above circumstances, specially when the Board plainly speaks about overnight guest registration.

Comment removed.

I lived in a rental building with a guest log and must say it was really annoying. It appeared to be a tool to harass the rent controlled ones, but they used it with everyone.

I don't understand what keeping a log would accomplish. And the notion of needing to register overnight guests is offensive and a gross invasion on someone's privacy rights.

And i though coops were invasive....

Comment removed.
Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.

If you don't like the rules, don't live there....
This is a free country after all.

Ignored comment. Unhide

How does that root out anything? I often let people stay at my place if I am gone away. My friends need someone to babysit their cat. What do you do with a list of names? If people are doing AIrbnb, would the rational thing not be to go on Airbnb and take screen shots?

BTW - didn't NYC make short-term rentals like this illegal a year ago or something?

Comment removed.
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

Even if the building didn't notice it immediately, it is evidence that can be used at the eventual case.

Even more interesting is if the guest log has a check box for "paid short term guest" next to entries. Air BNB users are generally not trying to be slick. They paid for their room. They will honestly check it off.

A stupid list proves nothing in itself and as Alan says is a lazy catchall, that actually catches nothing. Buildings that go after people have used PIs and more obviously the advertised units.

What about the scenario where people do the house swap thing?

Comment removed.
Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.

If there is ever a book "StreetEasy Dialogues", you guys will be the main characters. And Alan of course.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Comment removed.
27 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,680)
Market (1,456)
Neighborhoods (565)
Boards (253)
Renovation (1,698)
Anything (2,311)
Sales (22,683)