Printed from StreetEasy.com at 09:48 AM, Nov 1 2014
Talk » Sales » Discussing 'NYC falls behind Chicago again'

NYC falls behind Chicago again
SAVE    RSS

32 comments

NYC's decline has begun. While NYC attempted to lure the IOC to get the 2016 Olympics, it failed miserably. Chicago is the only U.S. city still in the running and the overwhelming favored city.

Chicago will be even more prestigious once the 2016 Olympics arrive.

Ignored comment. Unhide

MichaelAdam is Rufus, who was rejected by his dream school and dream city, Columbia and New York City.
He loved the city until sour grapes set in...

This is all well documented...
http://www.streeteasy.com/nyc/talk/discussion/8131-rufus-mystery-solved

He is so jealous he spends all day trying to post negatively about NYC.

Man, this guy is so pathetic...

"got rejected at columbia business and am pretty devastated."

"Oh well. I have to spend an extra year in shitty Chicago and reapply for round 1 next year."

"I've been to NYC several times but haven't really partied extensively. But almost everyone I've talked to who lives there tells me how NYC is so much fun and doesn't really get boring, people are interesting, etc. To what extent is this true? What makes NYC so much more fun than other cities like LA, SF, Boston, Chicago, etc.?"

"I live in Chicago but have been to NYC quite a few times and noticed a very sharp difference in the respective social scenes. Chicago seems much more fratty and bar oriented while NYC is a bit more upscale and pretentious. The girls in NYC also dress a lot better as well. I would like to hear opinions on this subject from those of you familiar with both cities."

"Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just really bummed out since I'm 27 years old, and now is the perfect time to go. And socially, I'm extremely dissatisfied with Chicago and really want to be in NYC. I just have to improve my application for next year and hope things turn out better"

Now that he's been rejected multiple times, he's changed his story a bit.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

And I thought I was the only one to have an extreme distate for everything Chicago. Worst city ever.

Chicago is great if you're a child who wants to be shot

Ignored comment. Unhide

chicago is about as relevant as des moines.

Hey what's with the Chicago bashing? The area around Wrigley is awesome. True, Chicago feels like a small town compared to NYC but that has it's positives & negatives. If I didn't live in Manhattan my next two choices in the US would be SF (second) and then Chicago (third).

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

Personally I only would consider cities above the Mason-Dixon Line so Chicago would have to be in the running if I didn't or couldn't live in NYC.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Jason you got me there. I love Miami.

food better in chicago if you like more working class grub but not for high end. probably better burgers, hot dogs, brats etc... chicagoans are far too unsophisticated. I grew up there and ran, screaming at age 26. I only go back for family 1-2x a year. Chicago can keep itself and its small town brain.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

I have done more time in Chicago (for business and family) than I care to remember. Chicago has an excellent art museum. The other museums made us feel a little embarrassed for them. There's only so many times you can go on the architectural boat tour. They have a few/a little of everything -- decent restaurants, for example, and theaters -- but in the end there's no energy and it is so damn boring to be there for more than 24 hours -- not to mention freezing cold in the winter and stormy in all other seasons. I have lived in O'Hare Airport several times for days on end, waiting for a storm to be over. The only place where Chicago has NYC beat is that there's a beach in the middle of its "downtown". But, then again, it's a beach on Lake Michigan. And the pizza is terrible.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

yeah a few nice restaurants but not that many. blackbird sucked.

For art museums, I think I would still put Chicago after New York and Washington obviously, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, and maybe at the same level as Dallas-Fort Worth and Los Angeles

Yikes! This Chicago bashing is out of control. And I wonder just how many "New Yorkers" bitching about Chicago here are true NYC natives or just re-located New York wannabes. I sense that 'pseudo New Yorker' pretension' in a number of the posts. I am a native New Yorker ( and decades long Manhattanite ) who has been living in Chicago for the past 6 years. I lived in four boroughs and,at one time or other,worked in all five. I'm in my 60's,so I think I have the experience to compare both cities objectively.
Of course,NYC is the greatest city in the world,but had I been born and raised in here, I'm sure I'd feel the same way about Chicago. Chicago is a magnificent, world class city. Yes,the sensibility is different and energy level lower, but so what ? The diversity is incredible...More languages are spoken in Chicago public school than in New York's. The statement re: the museums being embarrassing is beyond stupid. It is one of the fine dining centers of the US. Visually beautiful. Clean. Friendly people. All my friends from NYC who have visited me here think it's wonderful,and all my friends are native New Yorkers..I'll be heading back to NYC within the next few years,and I will be very happy to return home when the time comes,but I will always think Chicago is a wonderful city and be grateful for the years I got to live here.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide
32 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,741)
Market (1,456)
Neighborhoods (571)
Boards (266)
Renovation (1,752)
Anything (2,348)