Skip Navigation
StreetEasy Logo

Converting a powder room into a "study"

Started by ccdevi
almost 16 years ago
Discussion about
I have a half bath which is unnecessary to the apt, its 5'5'' (length) by 5'3''. I'd add a pocket door so the door wouldn't open into the space and you'd get the full use of it. I know its small, real small, but it seems doable to me, add a built in desk that goes the whole length and comes out 24-30 inches. That leaves 33-39 inches for the chair space from desk to back wall/door. Not ideal I know but again don't need the bathroom and really could use the study/office/desk space. Is this crazy? I'm not talking about from a resale perspective although I'd be interested in thoughts on that, but rather from a practical use perspective. Also how big a job are we talking about taking out a sink and toilet, and how big a deal is creating a pocket door?
Response by alpine292
almost 16 years ago

If you convert the half bathroom into a study, you are going to lower your property value.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by malraux
almost 16 years ago

If you want to do it and DON'T care about resale at all, then do it - that's the best possible reason you could give. Taking out the toilet and sink is a pretty quick and easy job. Just make sure the plumber is fully licensed and insured, and approved in advance by building management. They'll cap all the lines so if anyone wants to turn it back to its original use in the future they can. As to the practical usage of the space, the simple answer is - if YOU think it will work well for you (and again, resale doesn't enter the picture), then it will, so that's that.

But, for what it's worth, from resale value pov, a lovely powder room of the size you describe will always enhance the value of the unit more than ripping it out and squeezing in an 'office' area into the same space. there is no doubt the 'office' will reduce the resale value.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by alpine292
almost 16 years ago

Rather than remove the bathorom and lower the vlaue, I would convert a closet into a mini office. Take out the shelves and install a built in desk.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by alpine292
almost 16 years ago
Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by ccdevi
almost 16 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts. I understand the resale value point, not surprised to hear you say that (and don't disagree), even if I think its kind of a silly reality. The apt is a 3 br, 3.5 bath, so without the half, there's still plenty of bathrooms and one full bath is not en suite and is closer to the main living space, easily can be the go to bathroom for guests. Basically I see that half bath just getting so little use . We hope/plan to live here for 10+ years so practical use trumps resale at this point.

Alpine, I like the closet idea and the example, we just don't have one we can spare or that is in a place where it makes sense.

malraux, any thoughts about the pocket doors and how big a project that is?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by PMG
almost 16 years ago

a half bath is nice for guests, but it also makes an apartment more comfortable for two or more inhabitants. many buyers don't like to deal with renovation, consequently you are clearly reducing resale value.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by sticky
almost 16 years ago

I think that there are 3 other full bathroom mitigates the removal of the powder room, especially if someone isn't living in the 3rd room.

If this were a 1BR/1.5BA, I would say resist the urge to add an office alcove. But given that you already have 3 bathrooms & plan on staying there for another 10 years, go for it.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by alpine292
almost 16 years ago

If you do convert the power room, don't do any major changes to it so that you can re-install the bathroom when you sell.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by drdrd
almost 16 years ago

I love a pocket door but you do have to take apart/open up the whole wall to install one, of course. I wonder if they would also have to make that wall thicker to allow for the door?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by waverly
almost 16 years ago

ccdevi - With 3 bathrooms already I would go ahead with it. It shouldn't be too costly. If your walls are concrete you may have an issue with the pocket door, but most likely you will be fine. When you sell it you can always say that they have the option of adding a 1/2 bath...most people don't even have that as an option.

alpine - we did that in our apartment and it worked out great. It was inexpensive and made the best use of a small space...that is important in NYC apartments, right?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by lo888
almost 16 years ago

ccdevi - if you have a horizon of 10+ years, go ahead and do whatever makes you most comfortable. The 10 years' worth of enjoying your place they way you would like it offsets the difference in selling price the 1/2 bath would make (or cost of reinstating it.)

My bigger concern is being claustrophobic is such a small area. With the closet office, you are sitting outside and have the benefit of a bigger room around you (but less privacy.) This could be a little tight.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by manhattanfox
almost 16 years ago

I like the idea of capping off the toilet but maintaining the integrity of a bath. I would NEVER give up a bathroom -- and a powder room is the most comfortable for guests to use. I hate using the personal bathrooms of people.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment