Property Investment : what is wrong with coop financing ?
Started by lduv75
over 17 years ago
Posts: 7
Member since: Jun 2008
Discussion about
I have found a coop which allows immediate subletting. My mortgage broker is now telling me that he won't be able to provide financing at all (due to a certain Fannie Mae restriction), and that 1/ either I lie on the purpose of the purchase and apply for a primary residence (currently renting, so I could say that I want to live in, and "change" my mind post closing). 2/ or go back to condo. Does one of you have the same experience an/or can confirm that it is not possible right now to purchase in a coop for investment purpose ? What are the risks involved in the case 1/ above ? Thank you
go back to condo.
If you claim it's a primary residence and you lie, it's mortgage fraud and it's a felony. One place where you're likely to get caught is on the insurance side, because if you rent the place out with it insured as a primary, and your tenant sets the place on fire, your insurance claim is going to be denied.
ali r.
{downtown broker}
I doubt Fannie Mae finances condo purchases that are for investment.
coop mortgages are scary for banks because the mortgage is junior debt. the coop gets paid first for any money due to it should a foreclosure happen, the mortgage holder is second on line. everyone is looking out for their own interests at the moment. you should call the banks directly, don't just use a mortgage broker. i'm not sure the door is completely close on this type of transaction especially if you place a large down.