Bad broker experiences

Started by anonymous
over 13 years ago
Discussion about
Please list name and company and 1 concrete reason why.
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Trying to destroy people's reputations again? You know the people here will only post lies. The high prices in Manhattan causes them to lash out at their poor little broker who is only tring to do a good job. It's not they broker's fault people dont get approved by the board or dont quailfy for their mortgage.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I won't post names, but here's a story:

When I was looking for an apartment, many brokers wouldn't show an apartment after (about) 5 PM. Apparantly, they wanted financially qualified buyers who didn't work. Anyhow, on several occassions I made an appointment days in advance only to be stood up by the broker to to get a call while I was waiting in the lobby that the broker couldn't make it. This happened with 5 different seller's brokers. I explained that I left work to meet them, and they would completely disregard how they had inconvenienced me.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

That's what happens #3 when apartment hunting is your hobby and you jerk around every broker in town.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#3 desperate brokers have to make a living so they pick the clients with the most potential.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Hey #3, why don't you show them a cashiers check in your name instead of some BS mortgage pre-approval from your nephew who just got a mortgage broker's license and maybe they will let you into a building.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

(#3) Brokers want to meet rich wives during the daytime....... many women are easier prey than their more financially sophisticated husbands. Once you sold the rich wife, the have their husbands by the balls.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Excuse me? I was working with a buyer's broker and was very seriously looking (and ultimatley bought). If apartment hunting was a hobby, I wouldn't be leaving work mid-day to look.

#6, do you even know what a cashier's check is? To whom would I have it made it out? The escrow account of the unknown attorney of the unnamed seller of the apartment that I hadn't yet found?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I am a rich wife. But, oh pity me, I work and earn a good portion of my family's income.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Yeah #3 listen to number 6, its a red flag when your last name is the same as your mortgage broker's. Showing them a cashiers check shows them you at least. made some effort, went to the bank and are not just spying on the neighbors or looking for ideas on how to remodel your own apartment.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I think they mean make out the check to yourself #8.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

First, how would bringing anything to an appointment help if the seller's broker doesn't show?

How can you bring a cashier's check to hunt for an apartment? A cashier's check would have to made out to someone. The parties for transaction haven't yet been identified. What kind of an idiot would liquidate their portfolio, have the money taken out of their account, and have a cashier's check made out to themselves..just to get in to see an apartment? That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

NTM: A seller's agent doesn't see a mortgage pre-qualification until the terms are being discussed...AFTER a bid has been made.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

And show it to whom, #11? The seller's broker that didn't show up?

Why in the world would anyone liquidate their portfolio and have a cashier's check made out to themselves just to have on hand to show the broker...if they show?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

People like you have no excuses #8. Brokers work on commission, they cant afford to run around town paying a wannabe customers cab fare on a wild goose chase to find that perfect kitchen or bath. Spend your own money on a contractor if you really need to remodel instead of the borker's time.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I was looking for a place to buy. And I did eventually buy. Why would you assume that I was making appointments and leaving work mid-day to do research for a bathroom renovation. Couldn't I do that on the weekends at buidlings that do allow open houses and at Home Depot?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

"A seller's agent doesn't see a mortgage pre-qualification until the terms are being discussed...AFTER a bid has been made."

What city do you live #12, a mortgage prequal is the first you show to an agent, otherwise you are spinning their wheels. No prequal, no showing, plain and simple.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

My buyer's broker saw my brokerage statements and prequalification. You don't fax that info to every seller's agent in the city.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

NP: I never showed a prequalification letter to view an apartment.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

They you must have been shopping all the desperate agents #18..... the real deals are with few pros who dont waste time on professional apartment shoppers.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

If the sellers's agent won't show the apartment to buyers who haven't yet proved that they are financially qualified, why make the appointment? If you suspect that someone is just looking for remodeling ideas, why make the appointment?

To make an appointment and not show is just unprofessional.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Because it was a slow morning #20 and real client with real money called in the afternoon.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#15 you make excuses to leave work, because you saw your new friends bigger, better apartment last week and in order protect your fragile little ego decide to keep up by trying to buy the new place you know you cant afford. So you rationalize spending time by saying to yourself at a very minimum you'll get remodeling ideas. You brand new nephew mortgage broker who had only done loans in Nassau and Suffolk tells you have may be able to swing a bigger mortgage on a Manhattan property of finance it with 10% down (and the latest 5 year interest only neg am mortgage) and you believe him.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

You have the time to post bad things about hard working brokers #15 on message boards like this #15, so yes you probably waste time on your new idea for a bathroom and kitchen.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Your friend just married someone richer #15, stop wasting broker's time.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Shopping agents? Isn't everyone who is looking to BUY shopping amongst many sellers agents? Who restricts their search to the exclusive listings of ONE sellers agent?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Ignore the troll...

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Your getting valuable insights #26, I wouldnt call people trolls....... at least you are not paying for the advice, so why complain.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

The troll is the person who started this thread with the intent of defaming specific brokers.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

You're right #28.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#25, people dont just shop different brokerages, they hop from agent to agent in the same brokerage always thinking if they call next week they'll get another agent who will work some new magic and get them that super duper deal.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

(#15) did you reimburse the cab fare of all the brokers you sent scurrying around town?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

"Why in the world would anyone liquidate their portfolio and have a cashier's check made out to themselves just to have on hand to show the broker...if they show?"

If you were serious about buying you would be prepared to liquidate your losing, plummeting portfolio that you inherited anyway.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

All these trust fund babies do seem to be shocked when other people have to spend time on productive work #32

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#1 When you list the name and company where you work, maybe people will start to put up broker names.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Hey #1, why dont you give Ralph Nader a call, I am sure he is looking for someone else to screw over after he screwed over America by putting George Bush in office.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Thats not fair #33 my daddy worked hard to build his empire.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

My daddy ran a huge law firm with hundreds of lawyers now I can afford to run around Manhattan looking at apartments all day

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

How many ordinary working class Americans did you daddy screw to make his fortune #37?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

How did a buyer send seller's agents running all around town? Esp if they didn't show for the appointments? The buyers agent would have done a fair amount of running, but it the buyer eventually buys...

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I used ONE buyers agent through the entire process. I met with about 2 dozen seller's agents.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

She called her friends #39 and had them set up fake appointments because she has an ax to grind with real estate brokers (the broker must have pissed her off when he asked to see real money after being shown her nephew mortgage broker's inflated preapproval)

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Some should start a thread with all the games buyer's play, submitting fake offers through friends, trashing properties on streeyeasy, offering the listing on their own home to get the agent to pressure the seller into accepting a lowball offer and then whoring out the listing to every other broker in town. The list can go on and on.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Yeah, buyer's make harassing and badmouthing brokers a sport.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

And then she shot JFK and faked the moon landing, right #41?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Buyers are pissed because they secretly fantasize about being real estate brokers and making tons of money because they think real estate in an easy job. They have no idea about how many jerks you have to put with all day.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Jerks like who #45? You mean the jerk head broker who just gives you a desk, a phone and some cards and makes you go out and beg for listings?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Wow #45, putting a few dozen buildings to memory in Manhattan takes a genuis.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Well it doesnt seem like there are lot of buyers out there who know the ins and outs (and I do not mean the physcial in ands outs) of co-ops #45.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#3--your story is hard to believe and (excuse me if I am wrong) smacks of yet another invented and overstated scenario designed to incite drama and vitriole(sp?). If you were working with a broker who was making appts for you to see other broker's exclusive sales, I find it impossible to believe you were stood up 5 times. Seller's brokers consider it their priority to sell their listings. In all the years I have been a broker I have never been stood up by a selling broker.You say you are financially qualified and serious, well then your broker would have conveyed that, made the appt, confirmed. 5 no shows just wouldnt happen. Now if you said you were calling random rental brokers and got stood up on street corners I would believe you. (though 5 times is still a high number) but being stood up with your broker when you have come to view a seller's broker's listing? nah. doesnt make any sense.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#45--I wouldnt put it as simplistically as that but I do think there is an element to that in all this hatred. It's true that many people do not understand the many things brokers do to earn their money, and given that the fees can be very high, and given the fact that they work hard for their money, they are pretty resentful at that kind of money being earned by--as they see it--opening a few doors and shuffling some papers. Which is just so far from the truth.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#3 is probably th type of individual who has to have her every whim catered to immediately or else she throws a fit.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment