When do tax abatements show up?

Started by ssskit
over 13 years ago
Discussion about
I'm closing a condo purchase on Monday. My lender is asking for tax prepayment and seems to have no idea that the building has a tax abatement. He is estimating my property taxes at about $600 per month. However, the "advertised" property tax is $31. Is he incorrect or does the abatement kick in later on down the road? Thanks.
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I'm hoping someone has the response to this as I would have thought tax abatement issue is the same as what you think - should cost 0.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

if u go to the dept of finance website u can find the abated tax assessment to provide to ur lender

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Shouldn't your lawyer have that information? What does your lender say? I think you might not always want to trust the advert on something like this.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by ssskit
over 13 years ago

I had my lawyer check when we were going thru the contract. She verified the abatement, though it's not in my contract. I'm not sure that you'd put that info in a contract. The issue I'm having is I'm using a West Coast lender, BofA, and they're clueless about NYC procedures. I guess I'll know soon enough!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by ssskit
over 13 years ago

Okay, so it seems the abatement takes a few months to kick in with new buildings. I asked my lender to waive the tax escrow so they do not have to collect prepaid taxes. I will pay them on my own.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment