Printed from StreetEasy.com at 06:24 PM, Aug 20 2014
http://streeteasy.com/talk/discussion/32312-ventless-piece-of-shit-washerdryer
Talk » Schools » Discussing 'Ventless piece of shit washer/dryer'

Ventless piece of shit washer/dryer
SAVE    RSS

42 comments

Ok, new place came with this combo LG Washer/Dryer combo. Is most useless thing in history of the world. Absolutely wreaks all the time. Went on line and apparently this is normal for this particular piece of shit. So seems I will have to replace.

Question though pertains to my intention of putting a shelving unit over this combo. But maybe I need to get a stackable? But am unclear whether the issue is that this is a combo or because it is ventless. (Why are new units made with ventless? very backward).

Thanks!!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

Have one too, ours is stacked but we have the same exact problem. Clothes smell like vomit from time to time.

Suggest (1) make sure to dry off the door and inside with a few paper towels when done (really annoying but helps); (2) Leave the lid open to let it dry a bit; (3) use the special washer/dryer cleaning solution that you can get in any store-- run it through a cycle-- it actually helps.

Don't really understand why anyone would ever voluntarily buy an unvented unit. The whole concept is insane. Funny thing is that in our unit (rental), they renovated the entire place but didn't bother to build a $250 soffit to hide a vent that would have improved the quality by a LOT. Amazing.

Also, that is the greatest thread title ever, perhaps because it hits so close to home and is 100% accurate. 1.

you need to keep the front loading door of the washer open with good ventilation to reduce mildew buildup. Also there are some products you can run through there to help keep it clean. front loading washers are notorious for mildew if you do not keep on top of it. NEVER keep that front loading door closed when the machine is not in use.

Thanks all. Not overloading at all and that would not explain the stink. This is a problem on the LG - there are actually three class actions about this because it is useless. Interesting that there is same issue with the stackable. And thanks JV have tired similar things and been a bit better. Reading the solutions of others, elsewhere is like a science experiment. A lot say that issue is petroleum based products (liquid detergent). But keeping open always is not that realistic. Other issue is that it takes forever to dry clothes and then locks. Last night I did a load and freakin 4 hours was still locked due to heat (it was not hot). Any case, super annoying.

Alan: where is this filter you speak of?? There is just some thing in the front that looks like a drain.

I have had my LG stackable for 5 years.

Two separate issues:
1) smell - I always keep my door slightly ajar and I clean out the gasket every month. This is an LG specific issue. I have used Miele, Bosch of older vintage with no such issue. I bought LG for capacity.
2)Ventless - yes, this is a huge problem. It isn't true that all new models are ventless - maybe the previous owner bought ventless because ventless is not allowed? Ventless takes forever to dry.

As far as combo units, I have used them on numerous occasions in the UK and found them to work very well (at 220V).

Ignored comment. Unhide

I have had two front loaders and echo all the comments about never closing the door and wiping down the gasket once per month with a bleach solution. It's essential, no matter what the brand in my experience.

If you do decide to replace, make sure you buy a model where you can leave the door ajar all the time. E.g., my Electrolux has a spring-loaded door that is either all the way open or all the way closed. It's not an issue for me, as the washer is inside a walk-in closet, but it would've been a dealbreaker if the washer were going in a normal closet or under-counter. (The plus is that the Electrolux has reversible doors, which is still relatively rare, and something I needed very, very much for my set-up.)

I have no idea how legal or safe this is, but in a past rental, I had a washer and dryer from the late 70s/early 80s that vented into some type of special cup. As far as I can remember, it was an ordinary dryer. It seemed to perform better than today's ventless models.

"Clothes smell like vomit from time to time."

Holy smokes! What could possibly cause that? I can't imagine it's merely due to ventless-ness.

i have the lg one, the big one, its alright, all the complaints above are accurate.
i had a maile(sp?) and haier one before in different places, they were smaller (and cheaper) but worked much better.
cant return this one, but if i have to replace it, i'm putting in a vent and getting a vented one, btw they do have vented combo units, much cheaper and probably work better.

Sorry for your troubles Ottawa - I actually have the same exact LG model and it has worked beautifully for the past 2 years! No complains here: no smell and no breakdowns - my wife is using it twice a day...

stinks are due to mildew buildup. lack of maintenance and poor design of the units.

I had a bosch stacked front loader and its all the same thing. the ventless dryer was not terrible.

yes you can get a vented dryer and have the vent end in a bucket or something - not really kosher as they say, but I know ppl that do it. hope you like humidity! get a dehumidifier for the room too and you could be in business.

I have a Bosch ventless. It's a piece of crap too. Never dries as well as the old school gas or electric dryers. Same with the washer. These "efficiency" washers don't clean nearly half as well as the old machines. Use half the water, it's half as clean, simple as that. We are giving up a great deal in the name of this insane "green revolution. "

I do think the HE washers clean as well or better, but you MUST maintain them, use the right detergent, and the exact right amount of detergent (not too little, not too much). They are much trickier than traditional top-load washers. Both my Asko and my Electrolux had learning curves.

I also think the 27" models do a much better job washing and especially drying than the 24" models. If you can at all create the space for one, I think it's worthwhile.

Thanks all. Just figuring out you needed to drain it made a difference. Sounds like I'll just have to become a part-time chemist.

Thanks!

So the issue is more with it being a high efficiency front loading washer than it being a ventless dryer. Adding the vent isn't really going to help you with smell.

You do know there are products to clean the ventless washer, right? We have the Bosch and it gets an Affresh tablet every now and again.

I actually find that the Bosch ventless dryer works quite nicely - gets the clothes to a nice volcanic level of heat and finishes up promptly. The washer is by far the limiting reactant. I think the nice thing about a vented dryer is that it would be more energy efficient, but the labor cost of putting in a vent would kill the deal by a long shot.

er, the front loading washer, not the "ventless washer."

We bought the GE Washer and Dryer (and stacking kit) because of its small size and love it.

Check out this model - it does require a vent though.
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/DCVH485EKMS.html?mv_pc=gg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term={keyword}&gclid=CNL2u4argbICFcHe4AodJioAng

The reason for posting is we have just expanded our apartment (bought the studio next door) so space isnt a concern anymore and will be upgrading to the larger electrolux model.

If you can run a vent then make me an offer, will be available in about 2-4 weeks depending on construction.

Comment removed.
Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

Truth, that would be the mild treatment. The other thing it does is that it won't open. Has somelock mechanism, and that is more likely to incite a violent reaction.

And its ventless because there is no venting gizmo hole in the wall. And it is front loading.

How would you know if you can run a vent?? Its a converted factory, so doubtful. They don't seem to have cheaped out on things like that.

Comment removed.

Last night I left it and it locked for five hours. Something to do with child safety. So basically you have to crawl over it and unplug. Lots of fun. Oh well, I guess better than nothing! I can deal with the locking, not the smell.

Comment removed.

Is there a way to install a vent in the NYC buildings????

@NYCApt1234 generally the answer is no - you need an existing vent in your unit - if you had this you'd likely already have a regular dryer in there. Because of the way buildings are originally built, zoning and safety issues I have never heard of a situation where you could put in a vented dryer where a vent doesn't already exist.

1234, where there was no previous vent, this is where I've seen vented dryers installed in Manhattan:

1) In apartment combos, the vented dryer vents into the old kitchen vent. I know this is a potential fire hazard, but many buildings seem to allow this or turn a blind air.

2) Putting the vent into a window cutout of a maid's room in prewar apts.

3) Vent right into the room with mesh on end to catch lint - this is illegal, obviously but I've also seen this in apartments.

I have a Malber WD 800. It might be 20 years old. Shocking but it still works. Dry takes forever, but I only dry half a load. Socks took 1.5 hours. Not awful, No smell. I think they still make the Malber..
The guy in PC Richards told me that the LG would take overnight to dry a load.

Gao,
That is ridiculous.We have an LG ventless/condensing unit for the past 6 years and are completely satisfied with it.Wash time is 1.25 hrs. dry time is 2 hours for a full load.Obviously a vented unit is preferable,but if that is not possible then this is the next best option.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Once you get use to the long drying time, i believe they are awesome

Agree smell must be mildew. You can get that in any kind of w/d if you leave wet clothes for more than 12 hours or if the water doesn't drain out completely. Happens to me when I forget a load and then the clothes need to be washed again, they smell like vomit, as you say.

Have always had a vented dryer. Needs to be near outside wall, need to pay to drill hole in wall or somehow break out a window and patch one out. Birds get into it and nest. If you put a cover over to keep varmints out, then the lint backs up making dryer slow, eventually will cause a fire. The longer the vent, the harder to clean - it needs vacuumed out by a professional once a year or so. If you dont do that, the lint builds up and you eventually get a fire. All these things have happened to me over the years with vented. I had a fire too. My neighbors had a fire... The vented dryers run a lot hotter than ventless, use more power. So you can see why a landlord would like ventless. Or use the laundromat, it really takes a lot less time to do several loads at once, and fewer dryers...

So we are remodeling and I dont want a vented dryer due to lint issues and fires. I will get a ventless, maybe even one of those super spinners so that the clothes will be practially dry before they go into the dryer. I will get used to ventless.

These are all good ideas on how to deal which you all have posted.

Bringing a dead thread back to life... I'm in a situation where I can add a vent. I currently have a typical closet with a all-in-one stacked washer/dryer. The dryer vents into the closet which is a mess and I need to fix.

So my question is do I replace with top of the line vent-less, or spend the money to vent out? How much return will I really get on venting outside when I sell? I'm getting bids for the work but I need plans, approvals, and walls cut through so I'm guessing $5K .

Thanks

Ignored comment. Unhide
Ignored comment. Unhide

I have never seen a ventless system that works well, though perhaps they exist somewhere. I also have never seen an LG appliance that wasn't a piece of crap. Again, that's just one person's experience. To answer bklyn's question -- it's worth the expense to get it for YOURSELF. If your prospective buyers are not clueless about washer/dryers, it will add value. I wouldn't worry so much about the ROI, just think of doing your laundry like a normal person and how much happier you will be. If I had the choice of a ventless system or going to the laundromat, I'd choose the laundromat. Finally, I've always bought Whirlpool washers and dryers and they last forever (I define "forever" as 15 years.)

icu812mi, I gave a lot of weight to apartments that had vented dryers, but it wasn't a specific dollar figure. That said, I'm not sure the majority of buyers know enough to think about vented vs. ventless. If a buyer hasn't suffered with a ventless dryer before, s/he probably won't appreciate the difference.

Anyway, turns out the place I ended up with had a vented dryer, but it was quite the rigged installation and a textbook example of what not to do. We ended up routing it completely differently during a gut renovation. It required a lot of hand-holding with the board to get their agreement (and added months to the review time) but was worth it in the end.

Thank you for the input, much appreciated.

Ignored comment. Unhide

The mildew-like smell is actually quite common for front-loading washers. Before I moved to my current apartment, I lived in a home that had enough space for a full-sized washer/dryer. I had this same problem with my roommates front loading washer. After a load, I would shut the door. But, it would still be damp inside the washer, so it wuold start to smell after awhile. The trick was to either wipe it down before shutting the door, or just leave the door open for awhile. That last option was more convenient for me.

Now that I moved to a new place, I had to buy my own unit. I did a bunch of research to find one that works, and ended up getting one from here -- http://www.compactappliance.com/washer-dryer-combo/ -- specifically, the Edgestar Ventless Washer Dryer Combo. It works well for what I need and the little space I had. (Stacking units wasn't an option for me). I couldn't afford the LG model that I wanted, but found a good sale on this site. I have no complaints about it thus far. I've had it for about a month now and it works well. Besides for the slightly longer drying time that I haven't experienced with my previous dryer. either way, I'm not at all a fan of the washer dryer combos. I'd rather give up sqfootage in my apt. to have a standalone washer and standalone dryer.

Hop[e this "review" helps somebody out there.

42 comments

Add your comment

Categories:

Rentals (2,704)
Market (1,456)
Neighborhoods (568)
Boards (258)
Renovation (1,712)
Anything (2,327)
Sales (22,747)
Developments (576)
Financing (474)