Question: My husband and I are retired New York City Department of Education employees with a small pension and Social Security income. My husband has recently become disabled, and we are in urgent need of affordable housing. We had been living in the city for over 40 years, and went to Florida five years ago. It didn’t work out well, and we came back to NYC. We want to remain in NYC, so if you have any recommendations, suggestions or resources for senior/affordable housing I would be very grateful.

— Growing More Desperate in Ditmas Park

Dear Desperate:

Welcome back home! We missed you.

Who needs Florida anyway? Too hot and too bright.

So let’s see what New York can do to help you settle back in. The city and state have multiple programs and agencies for senior aid, especially housing. One big problem, however, is there are waiting lists everywhere. You will need to spend a lot of time on the phone trying to find a place.

Here are some places for you to start looking:

David Crook is a veteran journalist and author of The Complete Wall Street Journal Real-Estate Investing and Homeowner’s Guidebooks. Do you have a question about anything real estate-related in NYC? Write him at For verification purposes, please include your name and a phone number; neither will be published. Note: Nothing in this column should be considered professional legal advice. If you have a legal issue, consult an attorney.

Hey, why not like StreetEasy on Facebook and follow @streeteasy on Instagram?