Selling your home is a big decision. Especially in a real estate market as complicated as New York City’s. Finding the right agent to guide you along the way is critical. StreetEasy research shows that 61% of sellers only ever contact one agent, or don’t request a formal presentation before selecting a listing agent. Reaching out to multiple agents increases your chances of finding the right agent for your sale. Luckily, StreetEasy can help! Our personalized matching service pairs sellers with handpicked agents from our Experts Network, who have proven experience selling homes like yours and meet our standards of service and market expertise. Learn more about the program and check out our handy checklist for NYC home sellers below to get started.
Manhattan Homes Under $800K on StreetEasy Article continues below
Finding the Right Listing Agent for Your Home
Once you’ve got your personalized list of Expert matches, you’ll want to compare and contrast them based on your specific needs. Ultimately, you want to build a relationship with an agent that you trust.
We recommend that you reach out and schedule interviews with two or three of the Experts you’re matched with. Telling the agent about your home and goals before the call will help you maximize your time with them. Share any unique features of your home, and your desired timeline to sell.
You may also want to request a listing presentation from each of them. In the presentation, the agent will highlight how they would market your home for sale, and why you should work with them. (Don’t worry, there’s no obligation on your part!) In addition, it’s helpful to provide your motivation for selling. For example, are you trying to sell as quickly as possible for a time-sensitive move? Or maybe to maximize the potential purchase price during a hot market?
Brooklyn Homes Under $800K on StreetEasy Article continues below
Interview Checklist for NYC Home Sellers
Ready to get started? Here’s a quick list of important questions you can ask to determine which agent is the best fit.
- How long have you been working in real estate?
- What percentage of your listings have sold?
- Can you share listings you’ve sold that are similar to my home?
- What is your average listing price?
- Do you have any specialties?
- How would you describe the market for my home?
- Describe your typical sales strategy — how would you market my home?
- Are you supported by a team?
- How many clients do you work with at a time?
- How often can I expect to hear from you? And what is your preferred method of communication? (e.g., calls, texts, emails)
- Do you have any references I can contact?
We’re confident that this checklist for NYC home sellers will help you find your perfect StreetEasy Expert. Good luck on your sale!
Whether you’re looking to rent or to buy, find your next NYC apartment on StreetEasy.