NYT: No End Yet for Downturn in Housing, New Data Suggest
Started by alanhart
over 17 years ago
Posts: 12397
Member since: Feb 2007
Discussion about
National -- same old story here. I'm just saying. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/17/business/economy/17econ.html?_r=1&hp n twin signals that the housing market continues to stumble lower, construction of new homes fell sharply last month, and foreclosures surged in the first quarter, according to reports released on Thursday. The government reported that new home starts fell 10.8 percent in March from February, just a month after a sharp spike in new-home construction warmed hopes among some economists and investors that the country%u2019s foundering housing market was beginning to make a comeback as credit conditions eased. [more]
alanhart, i found the following fascinating:
http://www.housingwire.com/2009/04/16/overwhelmed-illinois-court-postpones-foreclosures-until-end-of-august/
This implies something fairly awful for many housing markets. An amazing foreclosure shadow inventory.
The "warmed hopes" of economists and investors for a market turnaround based on a blimp in the numbers last month is laughable. Did they forget about the 600K jobs the economy continues to shed every month? Where do they think these 600 thousand people live? Tents?
Idiots.
How quickly they forget. Manhattan RE took FOUR YEARS to bottom after the 87 market crash. And that crash was not as severe (and market was UP for the year) and there was not the same economy impact.
All cash baby... I missed the 30% run up but have no illusion we will not test 6500 :)
I hammered at Citibank representative for charging me a "acct" maintenance fee... the logic went... I give you money to keep it safe, you lend like idiots and lose all this money, then in order to make up for it start charging crazy fees while my tax money keeps you afloat.... I got my money back :)