Skip Navigation

Seems like a decent deal (?)

Started by CB123
over 17 years ago
Posts: 132
Member since: Mar 2009
Discussion about
So... a smallish, but true one bedroom, cookie cutter space, large building, high floor, good views, doorman. Bland, but somewhat established area (plenty of restaurants, etc). Far from subway, but plenty of buses. Low $400s (after negotiations). MTC. just above $1000. A decent deal for the buyer? Thoughts?
Response by Squid
over 17 years ago
Posts: 1399
Member since: Sep 2008

Why do people insist on asking questions like this without providing any info on the property? Do you seriously think anyone can offer a solid answer without at least basic details (LOCATION, for example)? Get real.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by alpine292
over 17 years ago
Posts: 2771
Member since: Jun 2008

Where the hell is the apartment? Manhattan? Brooklyn? The moon?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by CB123
over 17 years ago
Posts: 132
Member since: Mar 2009

Manhattan. Yorkville. What's with the aggression?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by alpine292
over 17 years ago
Posts: 2771
Member since: Jun 2008

co-op or condo? What's the condition of the apt.?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by CB123
over 17 years ago
Posts: 132
Member since: Mar 2009

Co-op. Fair condition. Kitchen looks oldish. Nothing fancy at all. Looks like rental quality in a post war building.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by manhattanfox
over 17 years ago
Posts: 1275
Member since: Sep 2007

alpine is angry because he lives in nj --

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by manhattanfox
over 17 years ago
Posts: 1275
Member since: Sep 2007

price per sq ft?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by CB123
over 17 years ago
Posts: 132
Member since: Mar 2009

At least (I'm hoping) that he's taking the question seriously. I half- expected a full on..WHAT ARE YOU A MORON? IT 'S WORTH NO MORE THAN 300k!!!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by CB123
over 17 years ago
Posts: 132
Member since: Mar 2009

Mid 600s

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by aboutready
over 17 years ago
Posts: 16354
Member since: Oct 2007

CB123, if you are new here you may not understand the dynamics. Many people here really do want to help (and others not), but when you give sketchy info it frustrates those who might be best able to assist you.

There's a key fact you haven't provided. What's the square footage? And give the broker's listing and try to do the math yourself as well. Both numbers matter to those of us who like to contrast and compare. I don't do the smaller market myself, but I've been following the Yorkille smallish apt. market idly recently when I look at new listings to throw things Julia's way. (btw, Julia, I haven't been able to go there yet, but I have seen some good trends, even though that is one of the stickiest markets. Who would've thunk it. Oh those NEW mortgage products).

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by alpine292
over 17 years ago
Posts: 2771
Member since: Jun 2008

I've already said where I live 100 times so I am not going to respond to that ignorant comment.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Squid
over 17 years ago
Posts: 1399
Member since: Sep 2008

You are mistaking irritation for aggression. This board gets 'I want to know if this is a good deal but I don't want to provide any info' questions all the time. This kind of question is pointless and gets tiresome.

Again, it is impossible to say conclusively whether what you've found is a 'decent deal' or not. Yorkville is considered rather inconvenient transportation-wise (though if the 2nd Ave subway ever gets completed that'll change things for the better) and it's not exactly a 'happening' nabe.

Frankly, I don't know that post-war high-rises with 'cookie-cutter' apartments will hold their value very well, at least not in the near-term. Also remember that small one-bedrooms can be difficult when it comes to resale value (often even harder to unload than studios, which attract pied-a-terre seekers)--people with families (or planning to have families) generally go for larger, more versatile spaces.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by CB123
over 17 years ago
Posts: 132
Member since: Mar 2009

Point taken about needing more info for a serious response. Still, Squid makes some good points. I'll leave it there. Not really ready to bite anyway.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Squid
over 17 years ago
Posts: 1399
Member since: Sep 2008

Probably wise to maintain a wait-and-see approach at this point.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by aboutready
over 17 years ago
Posts: 16354
Member since: Oct 2007

Good. I hate to tell people categorically that they shouldn't buy right now (although I definitely think something close to that). Just don't worry, nothing will be going up for awhile, and I think you have a year or two more of interst rate loveliness, if not at this level close, so you can just relax and have some fun looking.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment