The Belnord
Started by Movinup
over 17 years ago
Posts: 15
Member since: May 2007
Discussion about
Has anyone been in apartments in the Belnord? How do they compare to Astor Court and Apthorp? Are there any smaller units there? Is the entire bldg. rental?
In the early 90s if memory serves, Gary Barnett (or whatever name he was using at the time) bought the Belnord for just under $15 million. Yes, the WHOLE building.
Yes, it's still rental. For decades the former owner, what's-her-name, fought with the tenants. There were quite a few cut-ups, but I believe the new owner has put a few back together when they happened to go vacant at the same time. If you google-images Belnord some pics will come up of apartments being spiffed up for new tenants.
I've been in this building and some of the newly renovated apartments are fantastic. I know it's hard to believe, but one was almost too big. Of course, it also rented for $20k a month, and that was 5 years ago.
I have been in several of the renovated apartments and they are comparable to Apthorp (I have never been in Astopr Court). The landord is Extell Corp, and I am told - though I cannot confirm - than they have designs on eventually changing the ownership of the building from rental to some type of tenant ownership structure.
I do not know that there are any/many smaller units there, but I do not know that there aren't. They're nice digs I think.
Thanks all for comments. I ask partly because I've lived in the neighborhood for decades, pass the bldg. daily, yet have never met someone who lives there (as far as I know). Apts at Astor come on the market w/some regularity, and we know the deal w/Apthorp, so I was curious. I bring up these 3 bldgs. as the 3 in the neighborhood w/courtyards. Sounds like Belnord is more akin to Apthorp in terms of apt. size and affordability (or non-affordability).