Harlem Updates

Started by dg156
about 13 years ago
Discussion about
FYI... http://www.nysun.com/article/59169 ....a lot going on in Harlem currently and the future looks great.
Response by mission
about 13 years ago

Let's try and look at this a little more closely:
That particular "Harlem News" has been going on for a while (many years), and it's still a bit too much hype. It is a lot of Marketing & PR on the behalf of the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone Development Corporation, the same campaign used to sell you just about anything in this country. Lokk at the way this article was written. It is a PRESS RELEASE.

They need to justify the many, many, many developments in harlem.
For instance, they priced condos in new developments too high, and they're not selling like they thought. look at current sales and you'll see that many are not nearly sold out.
(read the many other discussions on Harlem on streeteasy, many stats on units sold)

Many of us are leaving harlem -- a little tip for now: Queens (LIC, Sunnyside & Woodside).
You never have to take anyone's advice, but let me know if we were wrong 1-2 years from now :)))

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by sydney
about 13 years ago

Good point, Mission - there's quite a lot of puffery in the article. I live in Harlem and have a vested interest in its success. No doubt there are signs of development, but it's not going to be at the overhyped pace in the article (especially if there's a slowdown in the economy). Many of the proposed developments are just that - proposed.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by elsushi921
about 13 years ago

we live here too and LOVE it and want it to be the BEST and we are now involved in community activities. www.newnewyorker.com is going to have a newcomers club so that will be fun too. its alot safer here than people want to believe and the families here are wonderful and many have lived here for generations and they are all so warm and welcoming to us, I never found that on Sutton Place where we came from.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment