Skip Navigation

Listing at 246 West End Avenue not on StreetEasy

Started by NWT
almost 18 years ago
Posts: 6643
Member since: Sep 2008
Response by nyc10023
almost 18 years ago
Posts: 7614
Member since: Nov 2008

Hmm, I can't get interested in this building if they are not the original 12 & 14-room layouts. Nice doormen, I usually give them all my leftover food from parties and Halloween candy.

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=242414&imageID=416437&total=48&num=0&parent_id=242157&word=&s=&notword=&d=&c=&f=&k=0&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&lword=&lfield=&imgs=20&pos=5&snum=&e=w

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NWT
almost 18 years ago
Posts: 6643
Member since: Sep 2008

It went from two per floor to eight per floor in 1938. There've been 13 combos since then, most of two or three apartments and one of four apartments. That's half a room shy of its original layout.

If 11A (owner-broker) gets more than $1.7M, it'd be a new non-combo record.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by JohnDoe
almost 18 years ago
Posts: 449
Member since: Apr 2007

Is that asking price a joke? Over 2M for a medium-sized 2BR in a mid-range WEA building? I'm thinking this needs to come down 30-40% to get sold in this market.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NWT
over 17 years ago
Posts: 6643
Member since: Sep 2008

11A is off the market.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NWT
over 17 years ago
Posts: 6643
Member since: Sep 2008

11A is back on the market, this time on SE at http://www.streeteasy.com/nyc/sale/410561-coop-246-west-end-avenue-lincoln-square-new-york?email=true.

IIRC, back in January he was asking $2.1M.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10023
over 17 years ago
Posts: 7614
Member since: Nov 2008

I don't get the sky-high prices/sqft for this building. While the location isn't solid gold on WEA, the building itself is a Carpenter and is pre WWI with higher than 9 foot ceilings (I think 11 feet?) and WBFs.

At the peak, 3+ bedrooms were selling for just under 4m, even after BS collapse (look up 4BC and 10BC). As I've said before, I'd be tempted by a large combination on the SE corner.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NWT
over 17 years ago
Posts: 6643
Member since: Sep 2008

nyc10023, ceilings are ~12' on the ground floor, 11' on the 1st and 11th, and 10'4" on the rest. 12th may be a few inches lower. (I've had occasion to do some measuring there.)

Aside from the combos you've seen, there're also a couple on the A-line corner. 12, I think, and a couple of huge ones on lower floors.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10023
over 17 years ago
Posts: 7614
Member since: Nov 2008

What's the ceiling ht in 20s buildings - 9ft (thinking of buildings on RSD)?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NWT
over 17 years ago
Posts: 6643
Member since: Sep 2008

Forgot to say, the WBFPs need to be checked out. The A and C line are each said to have two, but some must be decorative, as there aren't that many flues on the roof. The few A and C I've seen did have two. A couple of the high-floor G's also have a WBFP.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NWT
over 17 years ago
Posts: 6643
Member since: Sep 2008

I think ~9', except for converted hotels, where they tend to run lower. In photos I look at doorways, figuring them at 7', and guess at the space above.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10023
over 17 years ago
Posts: 7614
Member since: Nov 2008

Ah, then that explains why I thought that 246WE may merit a slight boost compared to its 20s era neighbors on WEA. 10'4" vs. 9' is a huge difference. Once you've had 10+', 9' is hobbit-like. It's a shame that many of the so-called high end devs. didn't universally adopt 9' ceilings. In the case of the Extell devs, they have 9' ceilings but wrecked it by running cheap central A/C instead of doing micro-vents.

NWT: you're in the know. Know anyone who wants to sell A+H+G+F (and maybe B) at 246?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NWT
over 17 years ago
Posts: 6643
Member since: Sep 2008

Right, ceiling height's come up before in one of the many square-foot-obsessed threads. The cubic feet added by high ceilings really do make a difference in perceived size. Those vertical feet cost the builder money and should cost us, too.

I'm keeping an eye out for those combos, too. A&B can work not too badly, though nobody's done one. A&H can be awkward. The whole shebang (AHGF) can also be awkward because even when you buy the hallway, there's a bathroom that gets in the way. Even if you lose that bathroom, which'd be OK since you'd have a lot of them anyway, the plumbing/vent stack gets in the way.

Can't have it all, I guess.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10023
over 17 years ago
Posts: 7614
Member since: Nov 2008

I have both floorplans (original and the cut-up one). Too lazy to peruse deeply today - are you saying that a plumbing stack was added when the apts were subdivided?

A&B is a shibboleth :)

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10023
over 17 years ago
Posts: 7614
Member since: Nov 2008

The market must be recognizing this premium because 246WE closes at prices a little higher than its neighbors to the north.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NWT
over 17 years ago
Posts: 6643
Member since: Sep 2008

Right, that interior bathroom takes up part of the original foyer, just about where the bedroom hallway led off from the foyer. You'll see when you look at the plans again.

The other added plumbing stacks are between the A-line's kitchen/bath, between the B- and C-lines' kitchens, and for the B-line bath.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment