Movers

Started by anonymous
over 13 years ago
Discussion about
Has anyone used any movers that they would reccommend? Any that I should stay away from? I am looking to move in a few weeks and want to make sure I have reliable movers.
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I had a great experience with Oz moving me into a rental while I renovate. Will definitely use them again.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I used Flatrate for a move within Manhattan. On the one hand they were great - reliable, timely, affordable and cust service called me during the move to make sure everything went ok.

Just one glitch - that the drivers tried to charge me more when they showed up to move me, but I pushed back and then they were ok.

Turns out the salesman's estimate produced a contract with a guaranteed price based on what he saw (unless I has misrepresented, like had an extra bed to move or didn't have an elevator). When the movers came they said I had over 2x the number of boxes than the estimate (like, hello?? I used smaller boxes for books?!?) so had to charge me double. After I said I was going to call cust service, the movers backed down because they said that would cancel the job alltogether. After that it was fine.

Either the salesman underestimated or the driver was full of it, but either way it was a damper. Nevertheless just beware if a mover guarantees you a flat rate. Other movers guarantee a rate 'not to exceed' therefore covering themselves.

A couple of other tips -

(a) make sure the moving company comes to your place for an estimate - don't rely on phone or internet
(b) get a binding contract in writing.
(c) check your building about moving rules - many require movers to fax insurance info and only allow moves midweek.

good luck!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

umm... the movers pocket the money without their boss knowing it.. duhhh

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#3 that sounds like a bad experience. Why would you reccommend them?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

i had a great experience with flat rate - they came and saw a couple of other items and didn't increase my price at all. we settled on the price right in the beginning before they started packing. it was my best moving experience ever to be honest. they use the right type of packaging items (e.g. floor lamp box for floor lamp) etc. I highly recommend them and used them based on a friends experience. i would use them again.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#4, #3 here - the movers would charge the additional on the same credit card I'd pay with anyway so there was no way they'd be able to pocket the $$.

All movers will try to rip you off if they could. Overall it wasn't a bad experience, just annoying but it got resolved. And I told Flatrate what happened..the company was very receptive to feedback. Just that if you're going with any mover that guarantees you a 'flat rate', be on your guard.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by elsushi921
over 13 years ago

I checked with Ellen at www.nycmove and also with www.newnewyorker and both places said I would not go wrong with Oz or Padded Wagon or Big John's. Good luck

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I used flatrate about a month ago. They were great. I had no issues with drivers trying to charge me extra. They came about 15 minutes late which was the only issue that I had. But even with that I have no complaints as they worked their tails off and finished the move an hour quicker than I expected them to.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I used flat rate and paid $1200 for a 1BR plus 200-250 in tips for the crew. They were excellent, but expensive (I thought). Make sure you ask for the non-american movers. the american ones are lazy.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I used flatrate from studio alcove and it was $600 - so it depends on your stuff really. It was a painless experience. I didn't give as much in tips I think.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#10, why do you say the american movers are lazy?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I was given a quote of $1200 for a one bedroom from flat rate too. I told them I wanted to spend under $1000 and they said if I was able to do it at an off peak time (in my case I did it on a wednesday a week into the month) and got a rate of 975. I have no complaints about their service. There were several movers who charged hourly rates who seemed cheaper but in the back of my head I imagine those movers wouldn't have done the move as fast.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

This is #11 again - i just found flat rate to be very professional and they even follow-up. I received a recommendation from a friend with the same experience. I think my quote was actually 695 so a little higher than I said.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#12--because the american ones they use are lazy. you'll see. the south americans and eastern europeans never stop working.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by pkanno
about 13 years ago

How much do you tip the movers? I have a one bedroom and have packed almost everything myself -- except furniture, pictures, etc. Also, I'm moving from an elevator bldg to a walk up (well, the elevator is being installed and non-functional right now). I've got 4 movers. How much should I tip each? Thanks,

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by markznyc
about 13 years ago

I used flatrate back in May and they were the best movers I have had in 15yrs in NYC.

They came early, finished early and even wrapped a bunch of additional stuff that the estimator forgot. Courteous an quick.

Also -- they will negotiate if you push back and send them another estimate from competitor. Plus always ask for free boxes. They will try and charge, but basically know that these are giveaways, so just keep asking.

Their estimate is a binding rate, so they should never budge, if you hold them to their word and threaten a BBB report (they have an extremely clean record and promote that in their pitches) you should be fine.

Tip the guys a total of around 15-20%, but make sure each gets a cut, in cash. My move was $1100 and I think I tipped eash guy (3) $65 . . .

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by LLL
about 13 years ago

I've used Schleppers three times over the past 10 years and they did a great job all three times.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by cmtsuk
about 13 years ago

I used Moving Ahead to move inside my building from a 1-bed to a 2-bed. The cost was approx $450 plus tip, but I had packed and moved a lot of the smaller items myself.

They werre recommended to me by someone who had used them twice before with no complaints. But my crew was late, broke a $1,000 table because they didn't take the legs off first, and one of them spent an hour making private phone calls. Plus, in the rush to get started given their lateness, I didn't read the paperwork closely, and inadvertently signed away my damage / loss insurance coverage (very underhand). Needless to say I didn't tip them, and I would not use them again.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by zizizi
about 13 years ago

Sometimes I have to agree with markznyc, Flatrate are perfectly ok, they're not the cheapest but they get the job done. I always expect to end up paying ~20% more than the estimate when I move (and then some on tips) and they're no exception.

If you have very valuable property you should probably find a specialty shop for it to save you the headache of dealing with insurance companies.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mission
about 13 years ago

Maybe try NYC Moves, had luck with them
http://www.citimove.com/src/moverReviews.php?id=281

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by ChumpSpotter
about 13 years ago

Be a man, rent a truck, pack some boxes and move it yourself.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Yog
about 13 years ago

I had a great experience with Oz. Very professional, reasonable rates, accurate estimate, and they didn't break a single thing. We compared them to two other firms and thought they had their act together in a way that the others didn't.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by medusa
about 13 years ago

Anyone have a suggestion for moving a piano? Last time I used a local mover (can't recall the company - it was 10 years ago) who moved everything else, too, into a third floor walk up. All went well until they got to the top of the stairs and had difficulty maneuvering it through the door. I'm wondering if this time I should get someone separate for the piano.

Any thoughts?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Gutrenovator
about 13 years ago

we would love to have a piano mover reference too.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by zizizi
about 13 years ago

Jerry Lee Lewis?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by justmoved
about 13 years ago

I just used Imperial (based on high ratings from citysearch users) and thought they were terrific

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by ahartmann
about 13 years ago

I used Scanio Moving last year. It was expesive, but they did a great job. One of the legs on my table broke (very fragile woodpiece) and they repaired it so it looks like new.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment