Skip Navigation
StreetEasy Logo

fire detector beep next door

Started by Village
over 12 years ago
Discussion about
Live in a coop and our next door neighbor just uses the place as a pied-à-terre. Obviously that means he is the ideal neighbor, 99.9% of the time. In 6 years, I have only seen him once. His smoke detector has been beeping that incredibly annoying low battery beep every 30 seconds for the past week. I called the super but no response yet. Torture.
Response by kylewest
over 12 years ago

Why don't you go find the super instead of call him. Or get the managing company on it. This happens on occasion. Annoying, but the staff is able to address it in most coops. This shouldn't be going on a week.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by jim_hones10
over 12 years ago

idiotic that you cant resolve this on your own.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Squid
over 12 years ago

You cannot be serious. Find the super. Call the managing agent. Get it resolved. Outrageous that you've been living with this for a week.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by caonima
over 12 years ago

just bang open the door and exchange the battery for him yourself

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by huntersburg
over 12 years ago

I'm surprised that you can't get this done on your own. This is New York, forget sensitivities, get it done, move on.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by 300_mercer
over 12 years ago

Call/email the owner. The building management will have contact details. Bang on the super door if in the building. Sometimes with the building management you will need more than a few calls. Keep calling till the time you get someone on the phone rather than just leaving a message.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Bill7284
over 12 years ago

OP, this is not a condo. You are in a coop. If your building is kind enough to allow a pied-à-terre, then there should have been ground rules set for this kind of issue. What if the absent owner had a leak? Personally, this is why I have always insisted on an owner occupied building. And I do mean occupied.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by jordyn
over 12 years ago

Yeah, and make sure all the people you live with are really boring and never go on vacation, either.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Bill7284
over 12 years ago

"Yeah, and make sure all the people you live with are really boring and never go on vacation, either."

Really, that's what you think? Any owner occupied owners I have known are well traveled and far from boring, but that's my life experiance. What's yours?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by jordyn
over 12 years ago

I guess you missed my point--this exact thing could happen if someone was on vacation, so you might be equally annoyed at your well-traveled owner-occupiers. Unless people are never away from their apartments for an extended period of time, there needs to be a solution other than "just hope they're around when it happens".

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Bill7284
over 12 years ago

jordyn, Sorry, I get it. That's why in one coop that I was in (10 units) everyone traveled, yet someone always had a spare set of keys for another owner. Also, on holiday weekends, we would check to see who was remaining so that the building was not totally empty for say Fourth of July weekend. In a large building that isn't as easy but can be done and for part-time owners that doesn't seem to work at all. Thanks for the heads up and to me I say "Duh".

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by lucillebluth
over 12 years ago

i remember this episode. what would kramer do?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by sjtmd
over 12 years ago

Once again, the dangers of pied a terrorism are made evident. Zero tolerance for such absentee maintenance payers!!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by wavedeva
over 12 years ago

LOL--but only because the same thing happened to me last week. Heard my neighbors' smoke & carbon monoxide detector going off (they're in Florida). Sent a message through Building Link to get it fixed. Beeping stopped. Two days later, my unit starts going off; it stopped when I reset it (i.e., I didn't have to change the battery). I noticed that it had just beeped and didn't announce, "low battery, low battery." I casually discussed this with a maintenance guy and he told me my unit probably needs to be replaced. Turns out even though the unit is hard-wired, it only has a five-year lifespan! Last week the management company sent a memo to everyone stating that all the units need to be replaced and that we will be charged $30 for this. There were also commercials by Kidde on WINS 1010 Radio a couple of weeks ago that mentioned the 5-year life span.

Well, they certainly don't make them like they use to. Don't be surprised if you hear additional beeping!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by huntersburg
over 12 years ago

>There were also commercials by Kidde on WINS 1010 Radio a couple of weeks ago that mentioned the 5-year life span.

Rather ridiculously low lifespan.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Village
over 12 years ago

Wavedeva - Thank you so much! I found the super and he said that he'd changed the battery days ago! He then suggested that maybe the unit needs to be replaced so he said he'll check it out again.

FWIW, they are the ideal neighbors .... if an annoying beep for a week is the worst from them in 6 years, I am pro-pieds.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bramstar
over 12 years ago

It's the super who's annoying in this case, not the nabes. Should never have taken him a week to respond. Are you greasing him well?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Village
over 12 years ago

Well, to be fair - he thought he fixed it by replacing the battery. The entire just needed to be replaced. I don't know frankly if I tip well enough. We have 15 staffers (doormen, handymen, super, etc) in my building and I give everyone the same - $100 each. I know most people tier it but I feel like the younger, more junior ones work as hard and may frankly need it more.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bramstar
over 12 years ago

Super should get a higher tip than doormen.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment