Skip Navigation
StreetEasy Logo

Super Accepting Packages in Non-DM Buildings

Started by FreebirdNYC
almost 13 years ago
Discussion about
I know this is probably a dumb question, but for people who have lived in non-doorman buildings with a super that accepts packages, how has your experience been with receiving deliveries? Are the supers typically on-site enough that most packages make it? Do you need to notify them of each package or are they generally on the lookout? Do you actually put the super's apartment / address on the order (if you are ordering from an online retailer for instance) or do delivery people know to try the super if you're not home? Does UPS / Fedex / etc. accept their signature for signature-required deliveries (e.g. wine)? Sorry for all the questions - considering moving to non-DM building for the first time and wanted to figure out how the process works...
Response by alanhart
almost 13 years ago

I've had that situation and it worked out great ... all carriers know to try his apartment. Just my own name on the package. Perhaps super's wife is home when he's not.

But of course this will vary wildly by building, super, and carrier delivery times for the particular building. Your best bet is to ask a few residents of the building you're considering. Also, keep in mind that it will be a courtesy arrangement, you can't hold super liable if anything goes wrong, and he can cut you off he wants to.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by steve123
almost 13 years ago

It works until it doesn't.
I had a great great super in my last building. Best super my wife or I have had in NY.
He accepted packages.

But if super/wife weren't around when UPS guy came..
He just rang random buzzers until someone let him in, he would just pike up boxes outside supers door.

One day, I came home to an open box (someone stole the contents, and left me the UPS box, which was actually nice since it made the dispute claim against UPS easier)

After that I had all packages mailed to work... until I moved to a doorman building a couple years later.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by NYCMatt
almost 13 years ago

"It works until it doesn't."

That about sums it up.

Our super readily accepts packages ... when he's able to answer his door. But the thing is, he's rarely in his apartment during the day to answer his buzzer, because he's in and around the building working. Mostly in the basement, laundry room, or the back courtyard, cleaning. Or in his workshop.

"After that I had all packages mailed to work"

As long as it's a small package. What do you do for big, bulky, and/or heavy deliveries?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by nyc10023
almost 13 years ago

I know the approx. times that USPS, Fedex & UPS come by my block. Luckily, the trucks kinda hang out in the vicinity, so I usually get it when I pass them.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by steve123
almost 13 years ago

"As long as it's a small package. What do you do for big, bulky, and/or heavy deliveries?"
Didn't order any.

Well except for once... box was heavier/bigger than I realized.
Too big to carry on subway.
I calculated that the contents cost less than the taxi ride to take it home.
Made a great footstool though.
After I resigned someone inherited a free kitchen appliance. :-)

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by juuceman
almost 13 years ago

The super in our old non-doorman building didn't accept or sign for packages. UPS and USPS would just pile them up in the lobby. There was enough foot traffic that packages would disappear somewhat regularly. Best bet is to make an arrangement with a neighbor who tends to be home regularly to have them accept packages for you.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by TripleP
almost 13 years ago

This was definitely a concern for us when we moved from doorman into non-doorman. We get a lot of packages. However, we have not had a single problem with package delivery in our building. Both the super and a porter/ handyman live in the building and I get the sense that the FedEx/ UPS drivers come around the same time each day so that the building staff knows when they have to be around to accept the packages.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by bramstar
almost 13 years ago

We looked at a great apartment in a non-doorman building whose super accepted packages. But as others have pointed out, when is the super actually in his apartment and 'buzzable'? We get lots of deliveries--packages in the mail, booze and food, dry-cleaning, etc--so for us, it really was a deal breaker.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by uwsmom
almost 13 years ago

Freebird - as alanhart said, it will vary depending on the super. did you just move in? If so, did you give a nice thank you tip to the super? if not, do so, wait a week, then have this conversation. if you are kind to your super and he can accept packages for you, he most likely will.

we're in a non-DM building and 95% of my packages make it to my door on first attempt, even when i'm not home. between the super, porter, and other residents letting the carriers into the building, it all works out.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by alanhart
almost 13 years ago

I'm pretty sure all the carriers had my super's mobile number, so he didn't need to be buzzable (as such). Plus SAHM wife, of course.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by uwsmom
almost 13 years ago

from what i can tel, the UPS carrier ALWAYS makes it into the building. FedEx barely tries.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by uwsmom
almost 13 years ago

and sorry, didn't read your entire post. so, ask other residents or the super directly. then, tip him well if/when you move in.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment

Most popular

1. 53 Comments
  2. 154 Comments
  3. 53 Comments