Raising kids in the city

Started by vkravitz
over 13 years ago
Discussion about
we are relocating to NYC and looking to rent an apartment in a "kid friendly" building. Any suggestions on either the Upper East or Upper West Side?
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Are your kids school-aged and will they be attending public school? If so, find a good school zone before you decide on a building.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

no, not school age yet. Just turning two so I am really looking for a building where there will be other young kids and things to do.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

no, not school age yet. Just turning two so I am really looking for a building where there will be other young kids and things to do.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mcfm85a
over 13 years ago

oxford 422 east 72st, gothem170 east 87th, coronodo on broadway....boulevard on broadway.....

are a few. With a two year old I would look for building with outdoor play area or a building literally next door to a park...533 east 76st is one example. Also many brand new buildings have great facilities. Almost all buildings in NYC are fairly kid friendly if they have kid amenities(condos).

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Any place on the Uper West Side between 80th and 110th works well since you have easy access to Central Park and Riverside Park (Riverside starts lower at 72nd, but it is nit that wide there). I think all bldgs are generally kid friendly with the exception of maybe some of the real high-end coops on the park that cater to super wealthy/older people. But again, most blds have lots of kids. Look for bldgs with kid play rooms if that is important - most new condos have that. Good luck.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Carnegie Hill is where a vast majority of young families migrate to. Close to the Park and private schools. There are a few rental buildings. Also downtown in Battery PArk City where there are a beautiful parks and playgrounds. You will find the rentals more reasonable downtown.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#7, your answer may be accurate for the Upper East Side, but not for all of NY. The OP seems to have little info on the city, so you should be more specific I think.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Techman
over 13 years ago

For the best place to raise kids look in Battery Park City. Nowhere else in Manhattan is even close. It is probably the safest place in the NYC if not the whole US and you will be living in a park with ballfields with real grass, basketball courts, free concerts, and great schools. Oh, and it is crawling with kids so your children won't have to be traveling to arranged "play dates".

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Has anyone heard of The Seville at 300 East 77th? I heard it was a great building for kids and near a lot of nursery schools.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I would worry less about whether a building is "kid friendly" and more so about what is in close proximity to.

Look at the UES and UWS and go for close proximity to a park and other kid friendly places like Kid Zone etc.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Agree with #11. I think there are a lot of "kid friendly" buildings in Manhattan. I think asking about specific buildings is a bit pointless since people/families come and go. I would worry more about things that would be harder to change such as building amenities, school district, parks, food, things to do, etc.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by vkravitz
over 13 years ago

the Seville seems to have great amenities...but since we are not there yet it is hard to tell if it is in a good location with parks, restaurants, etc.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

300 east 77th street is not that close to central park. (the numbers start from 5th avenue and then rise as you move east away from the park.) Plenty of restaurants in that area. Personally if I wanted to live uptown I would opt for upper west rather than that far east on upper east. For a small child it is a real plus to be between 2 parks with tons of playgrounds etc. Also the UWS is smaller from an east/west perspective and therefore it is impossible to be more than 2--3 blocks from 1 of the parks. Transportation easier too as again you will never be much of a walk from the subway. And lots of restaurants there as well, and I am assuming that pretty much anywhere is kid friendly as there are so many kids up there. I second the poster who mentiones BPC as a kid paradise, but sounds like you want to be uptown.UWS is better in my opinion.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by mcfm85a
over 13 years ago

seville doesnt have outdoor play area...which I find essentiall if you have 2 year olds. Also it is neither near schools are park....There are much better more centrally located apts on east and west sie. Tribeca is nice to. I do not particular care for BPC but thats because it is somewhat out of the way.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

we have to live either on the UES or UWS and it is hard to find an apartment without being there. The Lyric seems nice on the UWS and someone ealso mentioned to me The Lucerne. I don't think it is close to any playgrounds though....I am still searching for a building that is close to a park or playground , is decent size, good amenities, and has things to do for a 2 year old. Any suggestions would be great.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

The Columbia on 96th & Broadway has a HUGE indoor playroom, in addition to a large gym and olympic size pool. Downside it's a loud intersection. Upside is Gourmet Garage right downstairs, and playgrounds at 97/RSD (Dino), 92/RSD (Hippo) and 96/CPW.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I don't know specific buildings, but it is true that EVERYWHERE on the upper west side is within a few blocks of a major park. (central and riverside). Also you have Fairway there which is a major bonus!!!!! (amazing huge market with everything you can imagine, great produce etc and amazing prices!!!)

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Why do you have to live uptown?

The best kid-friendly neighborhoods, hands down, are downtown -- Tribeca and BPC.

The hidden jewel of NYC parks - Battery park has unbelievable programs for kids (free) plus, the parks are uber-clean and safe. Washingtom Market Park is a kid-haven with free concerts and an ice cream truck permanently settled there (good or bad??)

200 Chambers straddles both parks, has a gym/playroom, and is kid-freindly.

I am biased as I live there . . . but have also lived UWS (8years) and UES (5 years) and they can't compare to the vibe downtown. Less crowded, less rushed and definitely less attitiude. . .

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

my husband will be working in whitestone so we need to live uptown so that his commute it easier. It's either that or we have to live in Long Island which I don't want to do. i will check out the buildings downtown still.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#20--look at jackson heights, queens.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Jackson Heights? Not much green space there for the kiddies.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

still think i want UES or UWS

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Look at Rockrose, Rose Associate, Manahattan Skyline, Brodsky, Monion and other large real estate management companies for apts. They all have no-fee apartments in large buildings that tend to have kid-centric amenities. Good luck.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Also Related Rentals.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I agree with all the posters who say BPC for kids - but to say the parks down there are super clean is not quite true - no, there is no garbage laying around but as soon as it gets dark there are rats EVERYWHERE. I spend a lot of time down there with friends who live there and we all know that as soon as the sun goes down it is time to take the kids inside or risk them seeing something we don't want them to see.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

BPC is amazing for kids, but I grew up on the UWS, and that was really good for kids as well. And I was born in the 70's when there were no buildings with "indoor playrooms" etc...just being within a couple blocks of parks and so much green space and playgrounds. And there are so many other young children around, and therefore so many stores that cater to them and such a kid-friendly environment wherever you go. I vastly prefer it to UES, both for kids and for adults. Doing a streeteasy rental search for "no fee" buildings on UWS would show availability of buildings with a rental office. Then you could post questions regarding specific buildings.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#26 - you are definitely right about the rats in BPC, at night they swarm out of the shrubbery. On the other hand I have never heard of anyone being attacked by them. I just consider them part of the "urban wildlife".

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Re:BPC rats--I know!!!I live down here and it seems such a pristine area, and then at night the rat situation is insane!!!!What is up with that??

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

NYC's 50 million rats need a place to hang out at night too. Better they are in BPC than in my apartment.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

What about this rat situation in BPC? Please provide more details. Are they coming out from the landfilled BPC?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

i hear, uws > ues ~ bpc
wait until you try to get into schools.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I dont know where the rats are coming from--I never see them during the day, but at night they come out. It was like this last summer as well. I have not hear anyone with any problems inside their building. It is weird, but doesnt bother me, believe it or not.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

The rat situation in BPC is very real, but they only come out at night and do not bother people - I think they live along the shore of the river and then come to higher ground for food in the evening. They are harmless but there are swarms of them scurrying around - I always go in when it gets dark because it gives me the creeps.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Techman
over 13 years ago

Generally they start to creep out at dusk in the warmer months. Wagner Park in the South end is the worst area I've noticed. I'm pretty used to them, but my wife always walks in the middle of the sidewalk along the waterfront so she can spot them coming and make a run for it! I have heard of only one case where they got into a ground floor apartment. Personally I've got two large male cats with very big appetites, so if they ever made it up the wall into my apartment they wouldn't last too long.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by michele999
over 13 years ago

To OP - Your husband will be commuting to Whitestone Queens for work? So then why not check out Whitestone and Bayside (both north Queens). District 26 is the best in the city. Queens is a perfect place with a family. You can find yourself a nice house with a cute backyard for the kids or if the pampered life is more your style you can check out the posh Bayclub highrise Condo, The Water Edge Co-op or for the ultimate townhouse living....try Baybridge Condos which is a gated townhouse community with indoor and outdoor swimming pools, playgrounds, tennis courts, wonderful gym, clubhouse, etc. Of course there are plenty older co-ops that would offer more bang for the buck and you can always get to the city via express bus in about an hour. It's worth checking into!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

yes he will be commuting...I have nver lived in NYC and am moving from the south so I really want to "experience" all the city has to offer. Plus I think it will be great for my two year old. I will look at the buildings everyone has suggested. I think I will skip BPC since the rat thing is a little strange to me. Related Rentals has been a great website to look at so thanks for suggesting it too.

what about Sutton Place?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

There are rats all over the city; BPC is really no worse than anywhere else. About a year ago the NT Times had an article about a major infestation in the UWS along Riverside Dr. Generally you don't see too many, but whenever local construction is underway it seems to flush them out into the open. Just find a place within a block of a good playground and your child will have plenty of playmates.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Sutton Place is great if you like extremely old people. That and being completely segmented off from NYC. You'd be better off in BPC. I'd suggest UWS if you have a car but be prepared to pay through the nose for parking.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

UWS - Lincoln Towers.
It is located in a great school district (PS 199). So you don't have to send your kids to private if you don't want to.
The buildings have a PRIVATE 5-acre park - recently renovated with great play and swing sets.
Most of the towers buildings have a playroom, gym and library or community room.
From their location it is easy to get in/out of the city, to the parks, and to shopping, and of course, Lincoln Center.
The apartments come in sizes from studios to 3 bedrooms.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Licoln Towers looks great...thanks for the suggestions.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

There is NOT a rat problem in BPC -- these comments are ridiculous.

Sterile, yes. Too many monied yuppies, eys. No style, yes.

But rats, cm'on.

You just scared this nice person away from a beautiful neighborhood. You should at least check it out. If you are coming form the burbs it is by far the easiest transition . . .

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

No offense to the residents of Lincoln Towers, but despite the park, etc., that complex is one of the more unattractive group of buildings. around. I'm sure they may be nice inside, but they have a municipal/hospital/not-so-homey look to them. The person moving here should now that they are not as fancy/new as most of the ones she is seeing on Related, etc. Good luck.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Re: BPC. There are rats at night, but we all love it here. It is such a beautiful neighborhood, and so clean. I think we notice rats down here more than some other neighborhoods is that there is so much green here that we stay outside late, sit on benches the grass, etc, whereas in other neighborhoods you dont have a plethora of benches and gree to sit on at night and take in the "urban wildlife" as someone said. It is not a factor for anyone.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I have lived in the UWS, UES, Murray Hill and BPC. EVERY neighborhood has rats. This is the time of the year when they come out. The worse time was when I was in the UWS (70's/Broadway) and at least a dozen came scurrying out of a garbage can on a street corner. Just ignore them and they'll ignore you. If you can't deal with them, don't live here.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#42 you obviously either do not live in BPC or never venture out into the Parks in the evening. I live there and love it but THERE ARE RATS AT NIGHT! During the day you never see them but you don't have to look too hard to see them after dark.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Yes, there are rats in BPC in the evening. But I just saw the movie Ratatouille and now it bothers me much less!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Bonzo
over 13 years ago

I say stick with Jackson Heights, at least you kids will grow up normal, not thinking their will always be a doorman around to carry their luggage.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#48 maybe so, but then will they grow up having your grammar as well?

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I bet the rat situation is worse in Battery Park City due to the construction downtown. However, I talked to a mailman on the Upper Eastside. He said that all over the city, around 5am, after the nightowls go to sleep but before the 6am hustle, the rats are all over the place. He said it is like "the running of the bulls." They eat the garbage left outside before it is picked up. It grossed me out but i realize this is just the price you have to pay for living in the city. I try not to think about it.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I am certain at this point in the post, the OP has convinced her husband to give up the job in Whitestone and look elsewhere to raise their family!!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

hi..this is the OP and the rats are not scaring me away from the city. Rats like Atlanta, Georgia too so I think I can handle it...we have decided on the UES so if anyone loves their building or knows of one you think we should pursue then tell us please!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Bonzo
over 13 years ago

What are you talking about #49? I grew up in Manhattan.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#49 is commenting on your improper use of the word "their" the first time around in your post. He/she musy be very bored.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Bonzo
over 13 years ago

I know my use of the word their was wrong, but he/she seem to have assumed it was because of where I was educated.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

#49 has nothing better to do than to try and make fun of people - nothing we can do about that.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment