Bathrooms and Kitchens

Started by anonymous
about 14 years ago
Discussion about
I am about to start a renovation of my apartment. I want to gut the kitchen and bathroom for my own enjoyment but also want to keep it appealing for most buyers/renters. It is an 850 loft/1 BR/1Bath in midtown. The building is nice (doorman, laundry on every floor). What do you think about tub/shower versus just really nice stone shower stall? Also, how important is to have a Viking/Subzero kitchen versus really nice GE. Would you be likely to pay a lot more for high end appliances? I have my doubhts because it doesn't matter to me since I know that I do not cook. But I am not sure how most will feel.
Response by anonymous
about 14 years ago

2 minutes agoI am about to start a renovation of my apartment. I want to gut the kitchen and bathroom for my own enjoyment but also want to keep it appealing for most buyers/renters.

It is an 850 loft/1 BR/1Bath in midtown. The building is nice (doorman, laundry on every floor).

What do you think about tub/shower versus just really nice stone shower stall?

Also, how important is to have a Viking/Subzero kitchen versus really nice GE. Would you be likely to pay a lot more for high end appliances? I have my doubhts because it doesn’t matter to me since I know that I do not cook. But I am not sure how most will feel.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
about 14 years ago

As a current buyer I can tell you that I like having a bathtub as I find baths therapeudic and relaxing. I also understand that as far as rennovations go, tubs can be pain to install and a large expense. I've seen some places that have gorgeous bathrooms but no tub and thought "dealbreaker".

As for kitchens, I like having nice appliances but would probably be ok with a high-end GE, as long as it has a gas range. As for the re-sale value is worth the extra expense, I couldn't tell you. hope this helps!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
about 14 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. I think I will go with a nice deep tub and high end GE.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
about 14 years ago

I agree with keeping a tub - you will exclude some buyers without it. As for the appliances, people in this city are really caught up in the name-brand thing eventhough most rarely use their kitchens. We are looking to replace our appliances and I have found that the high end GE Profile stuff is really not that much cheaper than some lower end Viking, DCS, etc. I would either go middle GE to save real money (you won't use it much, so it should hold up fine) or look to the name brand stuff if possible. You are going to spend 10's of thousands of dollars doing what you are doing, so adding a few more to top it of makes sense.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

I see the blurbs about the apartments on the big realtors' websites & they look like PR for all these appliances & marbles, etc. I find it comical actually but a lot of people seem to think they need/want that stuff. I rather think it shows that we're really like a bunch of sheep what with fashion in clothing & now fashion it kitchens, etc. Are we really a bunch of insecure followers? I think so.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

Keep the tub. You will reduce your pool of potential buyers if you don't have one. The only way I would advise you to do a shower only is if you had a second bathroom. Remember, this is a city where 850 square feet is not an uncommon home size for families with children.

DO NOT invest in appliances. They depreciate. You will not get a return on money you spend on appliances. On average in Manhattah, every 100K you spend renovating a kitchen will raise the value of the apartment only 80K. Put in a nice, well laid out kitchen that makes the most use of space. Get good quality cabinets (give buyers the option of refacing as opposed to replacing) and pay for good workmanship.

Good luck!

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 13 years ago

for nice stainless steel appliances and saving you a bundle $$$... try costco.. they're selling a combo of kitchen appliances (fridge, stove, etc) for a fixed cost.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment