ps 234 independence school

Started by beckman
over 14 years ago
Discussion about
(Discussion created about PS 234 INDEPENDENCE SCHOOL) We moved here two years ago and my son started at 234 last spring. I can definitely say that the hype about Tribeca and the public schools here is not hype at all. Many people focus on test scores (and they do test well btw), but what really impressed me is how happy and enthusiastic the kids are.
Response by beckman
over 14 years ago

Parents in the neighborhood also have great things to say about 89 and 150.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by jcmurphy
over 14 years ago

My kids go to PS89. It's one of the nicest schools I've ever seen in Manhattan.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 14 years ago

PS 234 is widely regarded as the best school downtown, but overcrowded. For anyone interested in a more diverse learning environment (PS 234, PS 89 and PS 150 are all over 50% white), try PS 126. They have a young principal, Kerry Decker who is excellent and 2 strong APs. Their ELA test scores are not that great, the school is working on that. NYS math scores are at 90%/4th grade. Student per teacher ratio is better than 234 and 150 with only 13 kids per teacher (same as PS 89). PS 126 has a lot of young, innovative teachers.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by anonymous
over 14 years ago

I agree. PS126 is fantastic. Its diversity was admittedly "acquired" through a merger with another school a few years ago. It used to be mostly Asian.

The school also houses MAT (Manhattan Academy of Technology), which is a by-application middle school, widely considered to be one of the best in the city.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by faviana
almost 13 years ago

moving from NJ (originally from SF), and heading to Manhattan. Have 3rd grader, 1st grader in public school in Princeton NJ. The only info. we have is what we hear from people who have heard that PS 6, 290, 234 are 'really good'. Have normal, middle of the road, reasonably intelligent children. Am worried about the tranfer to NYC school system...any comments welcome.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by inoeverything
almost 13 years ago

PS 47 on 23rd St Manhattan is a great school. It teaches kids with muti-language skills with inspiration to use sign language for self defense.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by akiefer
over 9 years ago

PS 234 is a great school. My son switched in from a highly rated private school and upon arrival at 234 he was in the middle of the pack, according to the school's evaluations. He is now flourishing. Nothing is perfect, but Lisa and all the teachers and staff make this school pretty close.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment